Monday, November 20, 2006

Snippet Of LES MISÉRABLES Review

Was following a story over at fellow blogger Secrets of the Red Seven regarding Broadway shows.

Then I read this from Wall Street Journal theater critic Terry Teachout about the music in the LES MISÉRABLES revival on Broadway:

"...Mr. Schonberg force-feeds us three hours' worth of chattery nonmelodies that sound as if they'd been written by a woodpecker on a xylophone. It occurred to me midway through the evening that this must be what opera sounds like to the tone-deaf."
Ouch.

3 comments:

Red Seven said...

Oh, but I love that show. I think it might be a bit too soon for a revival, but when it was new, I saw it three times; once in London, once in New York, and once on the first regional tour. And each time, I cried more, not less. When I knew the sad parts were coming, I started to tear up -- and I don't cry that easily. Brilliant show ...

Gavin said...

I saw Les Mis years ago on a tour with one of my best friend's when I lived in CA. I took note of the reviewers comment because I laughed out loud at her turn of phrase. :)

I had a subscription to the Orange County Performing Arts Center for over 10 years so 6 shows a year supplemented my visits to Long Beach, LA, NYC, and London.

I've seen so many shows they are like I Love Lucy reruns...right after I see them, I completely forget what they were about! Which makes every show a new experience!

Anonymous said...

my favorite play...