Sunday, December 31, 2006

Brunswick Cares EOY 06 Results

2006 YEAR-TO-DATE (VALUE / SPENT): $3,093 / $519.52
The spirit of giving for the holidays really hit home when I calculated the final results for this year's donations. We spent almost $520 to buy $3,093 worth of goods and then donated them.

Shampoo and toothpaste were at the top of the list of free items while dish detergent, liquid bath soap, and razors were heavily discounted. The ratio of donation amount to contribution value was 17%, continuing our high rate of success. Essentially, each $1 contribution carried the value of roughly $5 in purchases!


I started the Brunswick Cares donation club at the end of 2005 in order to donate non-perishable food and personal care items to charitable organizations. After some research, I settled on Troy’s Unity House Food Pantry since they tend to HIV/AIDS affected, elderly, and poor constituencies.

Over the years I would see things for free, or at a significant discount when I was shopping and I'd think they might be good for someone even though I didn't particularly need or want the items. So I decided to take advantage of the freebies and donate them to reputable charities. What started as a personal effort turned into a eclectic collection of friends and neighbors as soon as folks found out about what I was doing and my success. Everyone gets excited when they can actually see the bags and boxes of goods that I accumulate.

MISSION STATEMENT
Brunswick Cares collects donations from club members at the beginning of every quarter. Over the course of the next three months, the club watches for incredible deals on non-parishable food and personal care items — then buys them in bulk and donates them to charity. This provides the highest amount of quality products to needy families at the best cost.

No comments: