Thursday, December 21, 2006

Rudolph, The Red-Nosed Hero

Well, America, he's on tonight. Albeit in a repeat this season, but he's on nonetheless. Woohoo!

Actually, I'm glad they are re-running this. When I was growing up — you know, when there were only three channels (four if you count the fuzzy PBS) and no Tivo / DVR / VCRs — they always scheduled Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer on the same day as our annual school Christmas concert. What a bummer. For the 2.75 hours I was not on stage singing in a faceless sea of other kids dressed in navy pants, white shirt and red tie, I was wondering how Rudolph was doing and if everyone had finally come around to appreciate that he is so special. BTW, my favorite line is, "I'm a Charlie-in-the-Box" in the land of misfit toys...make sure you say it with the funny voice.

For me, I strangely identified with Rudolph. He was the good guy, a bit strange, but everyone found him lovable in the end. The other day I considered it's why the show is so popular. Perhaps everyone identifies with Rudolph. Everyone's a bit different in their own way. Everyone's been picked on for one reason or another. Everyone wants to be accepted by the in crowd. And because he's a reindeer instead of a person, people of all shapes, sizes, and ethnicities can see themselves in him.

I thought the love for Rudolph was a universal truth. When discussing this very topic over dinner with friends, I had a sad revelation. Not everyone loves the show! What, what, what??? Yes, there is an interpretation that the bullies and Santa only like Rudolph when they figure out he has something to offer them. They don't come to love him, they discover he has a valuable asset and they swoop in to exploit him. I had never thought of it that way but I can see that side of things.

Me, I'm gonna keep pulling for Rudy and that bright red nose of his. Because I want people to love him for who he is, and people to love me for who I am.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You identify with Rudolph the reindeer? Haha...just kidding, I like your writing...I can see it, I can see it!

Just ran into your blog today. I thought your post on Rumsfeld was the best I'd ever read! Ever!

Doug

www.dhorspool.com