Tuesday, January 30, 2007

It Takes A Village

I spent Sunday dinner with my next door neighbors. They have three teenage children and I'm occassionally invited over for the evening. The wife and I were best friends growing up and now we find ourselves living side-by-side in adulthood. One reason that I'm asked to join in the fun is because the kids like to have me around. We tell jokes, stories, and we have a really good time laughing.

It's all part of the 'village' we have in our neighborhood. Most of the families moved here when the tract was first put in back in the early 50's. Now my generation watches out for each other's children, parents, and neighbors. Our lives have been so intertwined for so long that we are an extended family. I think this is exactly what Hillary Clinton was talking about in her book. Of course, the parents have primary responsibility. But a child needs a ride to school? No problem, someone will cover. A parent was whisked away to the hospital? No problem, your pets will be fed and monitored.

Yesterday I shoveled a neighbors driveway. She is nearly 90 years old but is quite independent and able to live alone. When I was growing up, I shoveled the driveway and was happy to earn $10. That was when young'uns actually worked for spending money. Mowing lawns, raking leaves, etc. Now I can return the favor by helping her.

I have a great village and I'm reminding myself today not to take it for granted.

2 comments:

Pete said...

That's so nice to hear. I wish more people had this attitude.

Michael said...

It's good to hear this kind of "village" is still alive somewhere in the U.S. This lifestyle a secret the rest of the world has known for years. My Dad left his village in Italy with his family when he was 10 years old. Now, as a man in his 60s, when he returns there old women who were friends of his mother's come running out of their houses and calling out the windows to him. He's one of their own and always will be.