Thursday, January 04, 2007

Review: Mayfair Hotel In New York City

Mayfair Hotel
242 W 49th Street between 8th Avenue and Broadway adjacent to the Eugene O'Neill Theatre

I paid $150 ($177.06 with taxes) for one double bed through Orbitz and was in Room 608.

Pros: Inexpensive rate for 3 star hotel in NYC (the Friday before New Year's); location, location, location; quick check in/out and friendly staff; close to subway system [Yellow Line N (Broadway Express), R and W (Broadway Locals); and Red Line 1 (Broadway/7th Ave Local)]

Cons: Loud A/C unit; dank smell; view of brick wall out window.

Since it was winter, I turned the A/C off, and I got used to the odor which could have been from years of being a smoking room. The bed was pretty comfy, linens clean, and a small 13" TV with cable was on a corner shelf. There was a closet and iron in the room. There was an Ethernet cable as well although I don't know if that service was free. There was no mini-bar.

The bedroom area was 7' x 9' — I wanted to be exact since other reviewers had mentioned how small the rooms are but "small" is subjective. For me, the room was small but fit my needs perfectly.

The bathroom was also small, with a single sink, toilet, and roomy shower stall...no tub. There were plenty of clean towels and hot water.

If you're looking for a cheap, clean place to stash your stuff and sleep while you spend all your time out and about, this is a good option. I would stay there again.

No comments: