Sunday, May 27, 2007

Bluer Than Blue

It's true. Robin's eggs really are robin's egg blue. This egg shell was in the yard under the birch tree. I looked up but couldn't see any nest and with no dead baby bird around I have to assume it popped out of its shell and survived.


I saved a sparrow yesterday from the jaws of our black and white cat. She came through the yard with it fluttering in her mouth. Luckily she only has one upper fang so I scared her to drop it and it flew away. This is the same cat that came home with the half-dead bunny. His fate wasn't as nice as the bird's.


Then I was on the hunt for a chipmunk. I thought of cb over at The Mangina Monologues when I caught the critter in this Havahart trap. The bold little dickens had dug a hole up underneath the clapboards and was living in the walls of the house. I spotted him when I was sitting in the sun doing the Sunday Crossword (in ink...doesn't that make me a genius or something?) and I set the trap. Caught his ass without any bait. I released him about a mile away down by the lake. That makes four in the last year.
*

2 comments:

michael sean morris said...

For a dropped shell, look for a tiny hole such as might be made by a beak, with the rest of the cracks radiating outwards from it, especially if the top part of the shell is missing.

michael sean morris said...

I keep finding sparrow parts, and because there aren't any raptors nesting around these parts, I always wonder where they come from. The other day I saw a crow with a sparrow in its claws, and a bunch of starlings hassling the crow.

Before I could get a picture, though, the crow flew up on the roof of an apartment block.

So at least I've solved the mystery of the sparrow parts.