Monday, May 07, 2007

Daffodils

More flowers from my garden.

Yellow Trumpet Daffodils
I planted about three dozen of this type of daffodil in the area on the side of the house. I have 50 more bulbs on order to add for next year. If I get them in time, I'll be able to see where this year's planting is located and I'll be able to put them in the right spot.

At the back of the yard in the photo below, I put in about a dozen and there were some bulbs for white daffodils with pink centers among them. I had them hanging around from last year but they never came up. This area gets mostly shade so these plants came up about two weeks after the ones in the side yard. The grassy area is where the deer meander during the winter. Oh, and one of my kitties had to get in the middle of things.


Quail Daffodils
These daffodils were planted around our mailbox out by the street. The catalog photo showed them as having two blooms per stem. I thought that would be rather showy, but these are a disappointment. The flower size is about 50% smaller than the ones above and the stems are quite a bit shorter, too.

I've been getting the bulbs via the web from Breck's. They have a deal where you buy $25 worth of bulbs and you get $25 worth for free. The trick is to only order the minimum since the next catalog you get will have the same offer and you can double your purchases if you play your cards right. If there's a way to stretch a buck, I'll find it!

Stayed tuned for the hyacinths. I put in 80 last year and have 80 more on order. Also want to get some tulips but we'll see how my budgeting works.
*

2 comments:

Michael said...

Love the pictures! Maybe Breck's will give you a credit for your disappointing two-blossom per stem daffodils so you can get more.

Gavin said...

I think I got what I paid for, just different from what I expected, so I don't think it was their fault. I'm trying different types of bulbs as I go and keeping a record so I know what I like, what grows well here, and what doesn't work. (I'm used to planting tropicals so this climate is a big change for me.)

I very rarely return anything. Partly because I see it as a confrontation and partly because I think I don't deserve to have anyone make things okay for me. I don't have the time or $$$ to unravel that one in therapy although I should since I tend to pic bf's that love to shit on me (figuratively). Taking the shit is just easier for me than confrontation. And when my anger, frustration, and resentment builds up, confrontation becomes easier and then it is too late. I'm done. While I acknowledge that as a issue I have to work on, I also need to find someone that respects me when I'm unhappy (which is rarely) and listens instead of shutting me down.

Aren't you glad you asked? Not! :)