Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Landscaping Under Renovation

"Landscaping Under Renovation" signs are frequently used in California. I often wondered why since it always seemed just a tad obvious. Then it occurred to me. A lot of people live in gated communities or in areas with quite a bit of landscaping maintained by an association or the city. Those fees, along with taxes, are very substantial.

An example: For a gated community in a new part of the City of Irvine, you pay your property taxes (2% of home's purchase price), a supplemental property tax called Mello-Roos (makes up for the inability to raise surrounding property taxes to pay for schools, police, fire, etc. due to the 1970's Proposition 13), a city association fee to pay for landscaping and road maintenance up to but not including your community, and the community association itself that maintains internal landscaping and roads and the gates at the entrance. I looked at a small one-bedroom condo in such a development about 8 years ago for $169,000 and the taxes were equal to the mortgage! (Of course, that place is probably going for $500,000 today and the taxes stayed the same, so who's the fool?)

Over at Matthew Saville Photography, I found this great pic of the lake that I lived next to for around 8 years. I would take a walk around the water when I would feel sad or stressed. There's something about water being calming to me. I walk by the lake here for the same reason:

So what does this have to do with "Landscaping" signs? Well, you see, the real wives of Orange County get in quite a snit if they have to drive by a dead patch of grass. They pay high taxes and call their association promptly to pitch a fit. The signs were supposed to read "Yes We Know The Grass Is Dead You Twit" but the text wouldn't fit.

This weekend was very productive in the yard.
• I received 3 cubic yards (36 big wheel barrows full) of top soil that I moved from the driveway to the backyard to reseed part of the lawn. We have Japanese beetles here in the summer that lay their eggs in the lawn. In the spring, they become grubs (larvae) that eat the roots of the grass. To make matters much worse, the moles love to eat the grubs, so there are tunnels all over the yard. The 30' x 40' part of the yard I replanted was particularly bad. Now it will be nice and even.
• I planted 6 climbing roses to replace the ones my mother yanked out last fall and this spring. They looked dead to her so out they came.
• Suet feeder down, hummingbird feeder up.
• Planted 15 large pom pom marigolds and 18 begonias around the tree in the front yard.
• Split giant hostas; replanted two in another part of the garden and gave three to the next-door neighbor.
• Put in 12 solar charging Malibu lights to illuminate the edge of the driveway, sidewalk, and shrubbery in the front.
• Miracle-Gro'ed all the flower beds.

I had my hair buzzed on Friday so I got lots of color because the weather was absolutely incredible. This weekend, and Labor Day weekend, are my two favorite times of year here.
*

No comments: