Saturday, June 16, 2007

Foot Loose And Fancy Free

I'm wireless, baby!

After a very successful work week, with a happy client and big (for me) $ billings, I decided to treat myself. I've been working so hard in the yard that it seemed a shame that I was always stuck in the den whenever I was working on the computer. FYI, I only have a single system and that's an Apple iBook G4. I bought it 2 years ago when my ex and I broke up because he had the tricked out PowerMac** and I needed a relatively cheap and easy solution to take with me to New York.

The iBook came with an Airport Extreme card which is Apple's wireless piece for the laptop side of things. So yesterday I went in search of a wireless connection for the cable modem. On the Apple site, I found the Airport Extreme Base Station which was $179. That seemed awful high. It comes with a lot of Ethernet and USB port connections, wider broadcast range, etc. Certainly more capabilities than I needed.

I went to CompUSA which has an Apple section but I couldn't find anything that was Mac compatible — even in the Wintel section. Then it was off to the mall where I hit Best Buy first. The geek squad had the $179 unit but told me about a cheaper unit that would fit my needs but they didn't carry it. I just want to be able to sit in the backyard. That's it.

I headed to the Apple store but first I had to stop at the food court. Fast food Chinese is like a siren song to me. I just LOVE it! I know it isn't the healthiest, but I ordered skinless unbattered chicken with bourbon sauce, green beans, and steamed rice. Delicious.

At the Apple store, I spoke with a handsome young tattooed employee. He explained the Airport Express with AirTunes. No bigger than the adapter I use to recharge my camera, it was perfect. For only $99. It does stuff like allowing you to remotely stream your iTunes content from your computer to your stereo. That's all superfluous since I don't own an iPod (or any other MP3 type player) or use iTunes.

Now I can sit on the patio under my um-ber-ella (-ella -ella) with my coffee and do my blog posting and reading from the comfort of the back yard. For under $100, it was a treat well worth it!

Holy shit! As I'm writing this, a huge woodchuck just went running by and disappeared into the field behind the yard!


** Dual processor, tons of memory, huge hard drive, 23" screen. This is the computer he bragged to all his friends that he "bought for" me yet mysteriously was "his" when we broke up. Now, it was his and I laid no claim to it being mine at any time. I knew the score. It just pisses me off that he ran around grabbing all that false glory that made him look like a generous King Midas and me the user. The truth is that he bought it for himself and that I could use it. I'm happy he did because it made me incredibly more productive, but be honest and have some integrity when you tell that or any other of your stories.
*

No comments: