Thursday, June 28, 2007

How Long Have You Ever Been Out Of It?

After two days of 100 degree heat (in the sun) and stifling humidity, we finally had the big thunderstorm that broke the weather pattern. By all of my neighbor's accounts, it was the worst storm in years. Trees with trunks one-foot in diameter were toppled...by the high winds or a lightning strike, I'm not sure.

The power went off yesterday at 4 p.m. I headed to the grocery to get a rotisserie chicken and macaroni salad at 7:30 with no hopes of the power being restored. On the way, I saw all manner of storm destruction. The local volunteer fire department was working a road detour as a large tree had fallen over, landing on electrical wires that sagged to within 10 feet of the westbound lane. I suspect that is why our power was out and the local convenience store and traffic light were dark.

Thanks to a back up generator system, the market was up and running and I was able to procure dinner. When nightfall was upon us, the rumors were circulating that the power wouldn't be on until late today. I took several of the solar malibu lighting fixtures from the front yard and placed them throughout the house. We were lit up like a Christmas tree! I worked the USA Today crossword puzzle with a solar light in one hand and a pen in the other.

The power was restored at about 3 a.m. when I was awakened by the air conditioner roaring to life and the computer printer's heads resetting. The cat sleeping on my chest expressed some agitation at all the commotion.

So I was without email and Internet access for 12 hours and it was really irritating me! We've become so spoiled. I thought about the people living in Iraq that have one hour of electricity a day and how awful and inconvenient that would be. Oh, yeah, and all the bombings and shootings and stuff.
*

3 comments:

Gay Canuck in the Capital said...

Remember the good old big Northeast blackout? Good times.

Anonymous said...

You are quite resourceful my friend. I would have lit some candles and been all bitchy that the light wasn't bright enough to read by. Oh, and thanks for the mind jarring reality check concerning Iraq. All my complaints are luxury problems after all...

Sister Nancy Beth Eczema said...

What better way to celebrate the resumption of normal electrical service than by doing these meme thingy I tagged you with here. You're welcome!