Thursday, June 21, 2007

More Krazy From Scientologists

There's just something about Scientology that makes my blood pressure rise whenever I hear anything about it.

There has been wide debate on whether to boycott Hairspray because it stars John Travolta as Ms. Edna Turnblad. The thought being that it supports anti-gay Scientology. Travolta and Hairspray co-star Queen Latifah declined to be interviewed for a story in The Advocate about the movie. Frankly, I don't know about the whole homophobia thing, but I don't go to any movie that somehow funnels money to Scientology. Period. I think they're crazy and dangerous.

[In this photo, it looks like he's wearing a partial hairpiece in the front. Eerily, he looks like a topless Kirstie Alley, too.]

Now Travolta is coming out against psychiatry and agreeing with everything that Tom Cruise said last year. This coming from the same people that support personal brainwashing "auditing" sessions with professional brainwashers church "officials." These two are dumbass actors that need to stop reading their own press releases.

I find it hard to believe that stupid douchebags have more insight into the human brain than decades of scientists with incredible intelligence that have dedicated their lives to the study of psychiatry. Oh yeah, they read it in a crappy sci-fi novel, so that must make it true. Why don't Scientology "experts" publish some studies and papers that can be held up for peer and scientific review? I mean, all the Scientologists are studying it. If it's so convincing and will save lives, it would be selfish to keep us all from reading it!

From the Associated Press via AOL:

John Travolta says his thinking is in line with fellow Scientologist Tom Cruise, who has publicly defended the religion's stance against psychiatry and the pharmaceutical industry. Cruise, during a famously heated debate on NBC's Today show in 2005, criticized Brooke Shields for taking anti-depression drugs and berated host Matt Lauer for suggesting that psychiatric treatment might help some patients.

"I don't disagree with anything Tom says," Travolta says in the July issue of W magazine, on newsstands Friday. "How would I have presented it? Maybe differently than how he did, but it doesn't matter. I still think that if you analyze most of the school shootings, it is not gun control. It is (psychotropic) drugs at the bottom of it."

"I don't want to create controversy; I just have an opinion on things, and there is nothing wrong with stating your opinion if you are asked," he continues. "Everyone wants that right, and because you are famous doesn't mean you have less of a right."
Do us all a favor and shut your pie holes. Asshats.
*

9 comments:

John said...

I'm not disagreeing, but it strikes me as no sillier than the "omnipotent supernatural being impregnates virgin so that their child can be ritually tortured and killed" story of the dominant religion.

John said...

Oh, and don't forget the "and we remember this event by re-enacting a cannibal ritual each week" part.

Bongo said...

Scientologists want to spread the word to every last being on the planet. They just want to charge us for the information. That's what makes them so dangerous: once you've paid all of your life savings and taken out loans to discover the "divine truths", its much harder to tell yourself they are full of crap. --Because that would make you a gullible idiot who got swindled. And many people find it easier to believe in the sci-fi pulp they've been fed than to belive they, themselves, have been duped.

cb said...

Oh! OHHHHH! My Eyes! MY EYES!!!

Sister Nancy Beth Eczema said...

That photo makes it look as if several million body thetans are congregating in Mr. Travolta's mid-section. When that happens to me, I find some psyllium husk usually does the trick.

Anonymous said...

John looks slightly evil to me in that picture. Evil in a "pay for your soul" kind of way. Personally, I don't know what attracts people to Scientology, but on the other hand, I can't figure out what attracts people to Christianity either so what do I know.

I think the big cosmic joke is that we make it all much more complicated than it really is.

evilganome said...

Will someone make John put some clothes on. NO ONE WANTS TO SEE! Jeez!

Now that I have that out of my system, we have a lot of Scientologists creeping around Boston and yes they are scary and creepy. But so are fundamentalist Christians and fundamentalist just about anythings.

What is scariest is that this country is becoming so brain dead that people listen to this crap from celebrities and believe it.

Gavin said...

John: I'm a confirmed agnostic and have no religious affiliation. For the same reason I'd boycott Travolta, I won't see a Mel Gibson film either.

Qbert: Yes, it's all about the money.

cb: Okay Phoebes. :)

Sister: Keen insight that only someone so devout as you could observe. Now it seems so clear why Our Lord created Metamucil — to cause a super colon blow that'll blast those evil body thetans to hell. Praise Him!

J.P.: Complex or simple, I doubt that I'll live long enough to know the truth. And I have serious doubt that I'll find the answer after I die.

Evil: I didn't know they'd made it to Boston. That's alarming! I expect you'll be racing through the streets of your fair city on horseback (naked, maybe?), "One if by land, two if by sea, three if it's God Damn Scientology!"

Michael said...

I don't know whether gays want to boycott the movie because of Scientology or because a well-known closet case is playing a drag role. It kind of bothers me that he's okay playing a women but not being opening gay.
Yes, Scientology is nuts and it's a pity Travolta is caught up in it, but almost every major world religion is anti-gay, can we boycot them all?