Friday, June 15, 2007

Top Video #10: Los Del Rio — Macarena

After my mega Duran Duran post on Albany Pride Day last Sunday, I thought it would be fun to do my top 10 GLBT Pride "oldies" video countdown — everyone just loves a countdown! I'll post one a day, culminating with #1 on Sunday the 24th when I'll be in NYC for the Pride Parade.

My top 10 are set and the posts are already complete. Do you have a favorite song or video that meant something special to you? Play along, this could be fun!

Not all artists are gay and not all songs are gay themed, but they all spoke to me as a budding gay man in a special way so they must have something in common. Sure, there's probably better, and given an unlimited amount of time I could find them, but I'm pretty happy with these as my selections. If you're expecting Judy, Barbra, Cher, Bette, or even Madonna (although Express Yourself was a contender), expect to be disappointed. Further, as Duran Duran would easily dominate my top 10 of favorite videos, I've made this list DD free.

Now on with the countdown.

Before we push the 80's button on the wayback machine, allow me to stop in 1996 and pay a special homage to the song that was so compelling that I overcame my self-consciousness and made it out onto the dance floor. It came complete with its own easy dance that I could master, too. This was about the time I started hitting the cowboy (Oil Can Harry's in Studio City and Rawhide in Burbank) and levi/leather bars (Gauntlet and Faultline in Silverlake, Pistons and Crest and Mineshaft in Long Beach) and I just found it hysterical seeing all these men in getups out there dancing away. Who could be afraid of that?

As quickly and massively as it hit the club scene, this song was just as quickly reviled and dropped since they'd play it at least twice a night in the clubs and twice an hour on the radio. Its saturation ended up ruining a great thing.

So here it is, the song responsible for drawing more gay wallflowers to the dance floor than any other. At #10, it's Los Del Rio with Macarena.

I am not trying to seduce you

When I dance they call me Macarena
and the boys they say that soy buena
They all want me, they can´t have me
so they all come and dance beside me
Move with me jam with me
and if you're good I take you home with me

A la tuhuelpa legria Macarena
Que tuhuelce paralla legria cosabuena
A la tuhuelpa legria Macarena
Hey, Macarena

A la tuhuelpa legria Macarena
Que tuhuelce paralla legria cosabuena
A la tuhuelpa legria Macarena
Hey, Macarena

Now don´t you worry ´bout my boy friend
the boy who´s name is Nicorino
I don´t want him, ´cause sent him
he was no good so I - hahaaaa
Now, come on, what was I supposed to do?
He was outta town and his two friends were soooo fine

A la tuhuelpa legria Macarena
Que tuhuelce paralla legria cosabuena
A la tuhuelpa legria Macarena
Hey, Macarena

A la tuhuelpa legria Macarena
Que tuhuelce paralla legria cosabuena
A la tuhuelpa legria Macarena
Hey, Macarena

Claps Ahai Ahai

I am not trying to seduce you

A la tuhuelpa legria Macarena
Que tuhuelce paralla legria cosabuena
A la tuhuelpa legria Macarena
Hey, Macarena

A la tuhuelpa legria Macarena
Que tuhuelce paralla legria cosabuena
A la tuhuelpa legria Macarena
Hey, Macarena

Come and find me, my name is Macarena
always at the party, ´cause the chicos think I´m buena
Come join me, dance with me
and all your fellows cat hello with me

A la tuhuelpa legria Macarena
Que tuhuelce paralla legria cosabuena
A la tuhuelpa legria Macarena
Hey, Macarena

Repeat
I've added the "top video" tag to all 10 videos for easy searching in the future.
*

1 comment:

Big Daddy said...

'Spice Up For Your Life' by the Spice Girls totally reminds of Pride 97.

It was huge.

That was also my first Pride working as a bartender at a gay club.

Good times.