Monday, June 18, 2007

Top Video #7: Dead Or Alive — You Spin Me Round (Remix)

Pete Burns has gone from a decent looking guy back in the 80's to a walking nightmare today. Earlier this year, Burns announced he was suing his plastic surgeon for a botched procedure to remove the implant from his top lip. Multiple substance injections and cutting/stitches in the lip area has left his mouth so disfigured he has to drink through a straw.

Regardless of his appearance, you gotta hand it to him for producing one of the most recognizable dance classics of all time. With an interesting video remix that includes concert footage featuring a couple of impressive go-go boys, You Spin Me Round twirls into the countdown at #7:

I, I get to know your name
Well I, could trace your private number, baby

All I know is that to me
You look like you’re having fun
Open up your lovin’ arms
Watch out, here I come

You spin me right ‘round, baby
Right ‘round like a record, baby
Right ‘round, ‘round, ‘round
You spin me right ‘round, baby
Right ‘round like a record, baby
Right ‘round, ‘round, ‘round

I, I set my sights on you
(And no one else will do)
And I, I got to have my way now, baby

All I know is that to me
You look like you’re havin’ fun
Open up your lovin’ arms
Watch out, here I come

You spin me right ‘round
You spin me right ‘round
You spin me right ‘round, baby
Right ‘round like a record, baby
Right ‘round, ‘round, ‘round
You spin me right ‘round, baby
Right ‘round like a record, baby
Right ‘round, ‘round, ‘round

I want your love
I want your love

All I know is that to me
You look like you’re lots of fun
Open up your lovin’ arms
Watch out, here I come

You spin me right ‘round, baby
Right ‘round like a record, baby
Right ‘round, ‘round, ‘round
You spin me right ‘round, baby
Right ‘round like a record, baby
Right ‘round, ‘round, ‘round

You spin me right ‘round, baby
Right ‘round like a record, baby
Right ‘round, ‘round, ‘round
You spin me right ‘round, baby
Right ‘round like a record, baby
Right ‘round, ‘round, ‘round

I, I got to be your friend now, baby
And I, I got to be your friend now, baby
And I, I got to be your friend now, baby
And I would like to move in just a little bit closer (a little bit closer)

All I know is that to me
You look like you’re lots of fun
Open up your lovin’ arms
Watch out, here I come

You spin me right ‘round, baby
Right ‘round like a record, baby
Right ‘round, ‘round, ‘round
You spin me right ‘round, baby
Right ‘round like a record, baby
Right ‘round, ‘round, ‘round

All I know is that to me
You look like you’re lots of fun
Open up your lovin’ arms
Watch out, here I come
I've added the "top video" tag to all 10 videos for easy searching in the future.
*

4 comments:

Gay Canuck in the Capital said...

What makes a video 'top?' Because it captures the zeigeist? Or due to it's sheer artistic value? And what about our own emotional attachment to the song- how does that affect whether we like/value the video?

Some of my faves including all of the above caveats... (God I am gay)

- Sweet Dreams
- Vogue, Express Yourself, Ray of Light
- Thriller
- Some of those cartoon Peter Gabriel ones (Sledgehammer)
- Whip It- Devo
- Walking on Broken Glass- Annie Lennox
- Go West- PSB
- U2- Even better than the real thing

Gavin said...

This whole thing is definitely unscientific and completely superficial! Hey, it's all about me. ;)

My selection criteria were:

--When I think back over time, particularly the decade that I'd say was my "formative" years (late 70s to late 80s), what videos and/or songs come to mind?
--Was there something special going on in my life where the video struck a chord with me?
--The videos should be MTV type and not of show tunes. I love me some show tunes, just not for this list. Perhaps another countdown.
--Do I like the video? Is the song catchy?
--Do I like the group? Are they politically GLBT correct?
--In keeping with Pride Month, are the group's members gay? If they are straight (not that there's anything wrong with that), are they at least attractive (to me)?
--Is the video somehow gayish, or can I twist it to be gayish for the purpose of the countdown with a personal story?
--I didn't want to pick any songs that would cause my readers to think I was way off the mark. Not necessarily that they're universal favorites but at least you would think, "Not necessarily my pick, but I can see that."
--Once I established a song and/or group, I went and reminded myself of all the stuff they'd done. In the case of Elton John, I'm Still Standing isn't my favorite song of his but the video more closely fit the theme.

So I threw all that into a bowl, mixed it up, ranked, re-ranked, and ranked again and these are what I came up with! I'd be surprised if any of us have much overlap since we all have different tastes and life experiences.

You'll see that my #1 pick was not very popular among the general population but I think it really resonates with gay men.

I'm glad you included your choices...love them all. The Madonna ones were seriously considered. In fact, I had a whole Express Yourself post written and completed but I dropped in the re-ranking process after I discovered others I thought were better. I had written a great story about breaking up with my first partner and listen to Madonna advising me, "don't go for second best, baby, put your love to the test!"

I encourage all my readers to jump in and tell us your favorites. The interactivity will make it fun for all of us!

Anonymous said...

I will never understand who deemed those hideous lips "attractive". They ought to be shot.

Gavin said...

I didn't post the gruesome photo of his lips from the story of him suing his doctor.

See it here: http://seriouslyomg.com/?p=369