Sunday, June 17, 2007

Top Video #8: Gary Numan — Cars

Next up is one of the original synth-poppers. Gary Numan is an androgenous android complete with white skin, Star Trekker-ish jump suit, and Tammy Faye (let's hope she gets better) mascara. Whilst straight, he struck an imposing gay persona. He didn't look like anyone I have ever known or seen...up until then or since.

"Real" men didn't wear earrings at the time and notice his was on the right. As the lady advised who first pierced my ear, "Left ear bucaneer, right ear you're a queer." So this closet case got mine on the left. Hey, it was 1986 and that was a big deal in corporate America...even in California. About a year later, I got a second in the left ear. I moved up the corporate ladder, came out, and was supported and encouraged by the management team. I didn't take those little diamond stud earrings out for 10 years but lost them both within a month of each other and I haven't worn any since.

Back to the countdown. Before CDs and MTV, I had the 45 of this song and played it with the record player arm up and over so the needle would return to the turntable and endlessly hum the tunes grooved into the vinyl. Remember doing that? I blame this song in large part for my tinnitis (ringing in the ears) since I blasted it at top volume in my stereo headphones for hours at a time.

Cars comes in at #8:

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Here in my car
I can only receive
I can listen to you
It keeps me stable for nights
In cars

Here in my car
Where the image breaks down
Will you visit me please?
If I open my door
In cars

Here in my car
I know I've started to think
About leaving tonight
Although nothing seems right
In cars
I've added the "top video" tag to all 10 videos for easy searching in the future.
*

No comments: