Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Do You Have "A Type"?

I've been watching Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D List for the past month. In her shows and stand up comedy routines, she always says that she doesn't really care about a guy's looks when dating. Last night she mentioned that she once dated a midget little person and it had gone so far that she had brought him home to meet her parents. She joked with her colleagues that they probably thought she was just kidding when she said looks didn't matter to her. Her ex-husband was an average looking bloke, a tall guy over 300 lbs.

I was talking to my best friend about types and it would seem that all of the guys I find most sexually compelling fit the same basic profile in the looks department. They look similar to Max Mutchnick (pictured) who is one of the producers of Will & Grace. Prominent juggish ears, close-set dark brown eyes and short brown hair, heavy five o'clock shadow, not as tall as me at 5'10", slender, and fairly hairy.

When it comes to dating, I'm pretty open to meeting just about anyone because I know not to fall into the trap of ruling men out just because they don't fit my pattern. I also know that someone who isn't initially physically attractive can become that way as you learn their personality. For that reason, I'm much more open about dating a wide variety of guys. Because ya never know!
*

3 comments:

michael sean morris said...

A-men!

I think my type is only my type because I never get enough of them. Then again, I don't get enough of any of them, so that kind of renders the whole thing moot.

Turns out my type is interested, and I usually just take it from there.

Anonymous said...

For a while I wondered if my type was really my type or if it was a product of gay social conditioning around what I'm "supposed" to like. But since my "type" has stayed with me from about eighteen to now (39), I think it is more than anything else, my own preference!

While I find many men handsome, and certainly find them sexually appealing, the three men I've had as partners, and by far the majority of just simple sex partners all were of the bearish variety, older, very "traditionally" masculine, though not put on, forced, or accentuated to a large degree, and hall had a quiet strength, and a kind of comfort in their own skin that I find incredibly sexy.

Red Seven said...

There are things I'm always attracted to -- mostly what I call "sad eyes" -- David Duchovny has them, as do Patrick Dempsey and Jake Gyllenhaal. I love a big wide toothy smile, and a defined jawline. Hmmm ... all features that I don't myself have. Hmmm.

The good news is that I'm beginning to notice guys who have less-than-perfect bodies and thinking "wow ... cute." And that's progress for me.