Sunday, September 14, 2008

How To Point Your Domain Name To A Blog

This post has been updated and is current as of 9/14/08. It receives a steady stream of search engine hits so I must be helping someone somewhere! I have left the comments in place, but this post may have taken care of some of the issues raised.

After locating The Real Blogger Status blog through Blogger help, I finally got this to work. No thanks to the half dozen techs at Network Solutions who came up with nothing better than an additional cost "address forwarding" upgrade to my account to lazily accomplish what I did for free (although at my going rate of $75/hr, it wasn't really "free" free.) I'm going to email them the instructions and suggest they send me a check for $500 for all the research I did because their techs in India, while polite, provide sub par support.

Here's a "How To" that should save folks a lot of time and aggravation.

I created a new blog, ECCO, and used a standard blogger address of "http://eccopac.blogspot.com". The "pac" stands for Political Action Committee.

The ultimate goal was to ditch my old ISP and FTP site and convert the whole thing over to the simple format of the blog. Much easier to update and it's a good way to stretch a small budget. The yearly cost of ~$200 for hosting charges will be eliminated and we always used a free Yahoo email address so email accounts weren't an issue.

I want users who type in the original "www.eccopac.org" address to go directly to the new blog site rather than the old FTP site. Sounds easy, you say? I thought I'd just need to switch around some pointers and be done with it. Don't point there anymore, point here instead. Uh, not so much. Google servers, where Blogger's free blogs reside, are load balanced to accomodate their huge traffic volume and IP addresses are dynamically assigned. In other words, your blog doesn't have a set IP address so you can't just input a xx.xxx.xxx.xx number for the pointer as you normally would.

The Blogger help instructions kept talking about creating a "CNAME" but didn't really elaborate. It defined what a CNAME was but not how to create one. The help page linked to many company that sell names, but not Network Solutions, which is where my domain name was purchased many years ago. I think they are still one of the most popular. But based on my experience with their support department, not for long.

The following is what I did. I think my 2.5 years of work experience answering phones in the hell known as Tech Support has helped me explain things concisely and methodically. After you talk to thousands of people, you learn the fastest way to get them to do what you need them to do so they get their ass off your phone!

I recommend that if you aren't sure about your particular circumstances after reading these instructions, that you contact the appropriate Tech Support department. Also, as I did, print out the pages as you go so you have a record of your original settings in case you need to put things back as they were!

THIS IS FOR MY SPECIFIC CASE. I already owned the domain name through Network Solutions and my blog is through Blogger. If you don't own a domain name, you'll have to get one, and you can choose any number of providers for that. However, the instructions I list below won't work exactly but may give you some guidance.

First, you need to tell your domain name where to find your new blog:

Network Solutions Portion
• Go to www.networksolutions.com and log in.
• Go to Manage Account | "Account Manager Home".
• Go to Domains | "Manage Domain Names".
• Click on the domain name you want to redirect.
• Click on the "Designated DNS" button.
• Click on "Apply Changes".
• Click on "Manage Advanced DNS Records".
• Click on "Add/Edit" under "IP Address (A Records)"
• Delete the entry under "Numeric IP" on the line starting with "www".
• Leave other entries as they are.
• Click on "Continue".
• Click "Add/Edit" under "Host Aliases (CNAME Records)".
• On the first line, enter "www" under "Alias"
• Leave "Select" as is in the pull down menu under the "Refers to Host Name".
• Click the button to the left of the first box under "Other Host" and type "ghs.google.com" in the box.
• Click "Continue" at the bottom of the screen.
• The next screen should show you that a CNAME alias "www.yourdomainname.yourextension" has been created.
• Click "Save Changes" and you're back to the "Domains" screen.
• Log out.

You'll have to wait a couple of hours for the process to propagate throughout the Internet. This process is where Internet servers tell each other there's been a change so they all know where to route future requests for your domain name.

Next, you have to tell Blogger that you're using a custom address rather than the standard Blogger address:

Blogger Portion
• Log in to your Blogger account.
• Go to your Dashboard.
• Click on "Settings" for the blog you want to set up the redirection.
• Click on the "Publishing" tab.
• Click on "Custom Domain".
• In the first open box, next to "Domain Name", enter your desired address...for example, "www.xyz.com". In some cases, I was prompted with the ability to purchase a domain name here. If you already have your name, click "Switch To Advanced Settings."
• Type in the domain name that will point to the blog in the "Your Domain" box.
• Click on "Save Settings".

You're done!

This took me several hours over many days of looking through help files, online Q & As, and calling customer service. I'm not quite sure why such an easy process was made so difficult. I'm essentially a techie and knew what I had to do. Pretty easy when you see it mapped out in logical steps.
*

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

OR if you had run into me earlier I would have sponsored your blog on my hosting servers ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hi - Thanks for this post. It just saved me a *HEAP* of time.

Cheers,
G

Anonymous said...

Thank you.... it was not so easy to understand this problem...

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much. This is exactly the information I needed. I'm very grateful that you shared your experience. I would add that I had to remove the IPs from all the other entries as well in order to get the www to redirect to the domain name without the www.

Anonymous said...

Well done. Simple and accurate instructions. (A few small updates need to be made, btw, such as Network Solutions now uses "Go" on their buttons instead of "Continue") But this was a big help.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this. My site just went up. Was very stressed until I found your simple instructions.

Giving the essence of kerala said...

I am using naam.com registrar and I need a step by step procedure for setting up DNS to point to a blogger page. Thank you.

Regards,

Narasu said...

Thank you SO much. I was getting really annoyed until I found your step-by-step.

Dave Horgan said...

I'm running into an issue where www.massgallery.com redirects to Blogger (thank you for the instruction) but massgallery.com, without the www. does not redirect.

Any ideas?

51greenwich said...

wow! this was just what i was looking for -- i have a domain under network solutions and had just abandoned their template website (really hard to update) and started a blog for the bakery. Now it all points to the blog THANKS to your very detailed and step by step instructions! When (and if) NS customer service answers my help email, it will be interesting to see if they too want to charge me to do what you figured out! If you would like us to send you a box of cookies or a loaf of bread as a thank you, let me know:)

51greenwich said...

Wow you have a very full blog! -- Thanks for your comments on our newbie blog last month. It was a challenge finding my way back here (with the breadcrumb trail) and wasn't sure whether you would still get a comment on a post dated last year? But somehow you got it before so am trying again. You know those stinky Networks Solutions folks somehow disabled what you helped me do to last month and somehow sent the newly directed page to some NS 'under construction page' Since I haven't really done much with it since the first few days of trying, I didn't notice until recently. Good thing we have not advertised what we are up to yet!
So with your trusty notes in hand, I just went through the process again and hope to see after 24 hours that we are back in business. I thank you AGAIN for that wonderful post. PS. We did pay it forward to our local shelter:)

No Mommy Brain said...

you saved my nephew from losing his mind. thanks!

Pach said...

Just wanted to say THANK YOU for these instructions. They are extremely good and straight forward. Worked like a charm.

Anonymous said...

In it something is. Many thanks for the information, now I will know.

shared hosting said...

Good job mates! If someone didn't get it on "how to" i offer myself to explain. Simple and to the point instructions! That's why i appreciate your site so much.

Anonymous said...

Thankfully some bloggers can still write. Thank you for this article!!

JW said...

THANK YOU SO MUCH for your clear instructions!!! After 2 days of troubleshooting, I finally stumbled upon a solution that WORKED between Network Solutions and Blogger. Gold star to you, friend. :)

Jason Allen Goodlin said...

Thanks for the instructions. However, the process failed to work. If Network Solutions didn't charge for domain forwarding, then it would be much easier to host their domains on Blogger.

GoDaddy takes less than 2 minutes to host a new customer name. Easy process.

I believe you have to put 4 sets of Google IP in the Cname. I'm still unable to host three NS domains.

Please let me know. I keep getting an error that a cname already exists for the domain name. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Almost 4 years to the day after you first posted this tutorial, I want to say thank you! Your step-by-step helped me troubleshoot my Network Solutions / CNAME records problem today!

(It wasn't the exact same scenario as yours, but this was the key:
Delete the entry under "Numeric IP" on the line starting with "www".)

SMOOTHDIVA said...

THANKS A LOT THIS HELP ME TOO --- CALL ME FRUSTRATED DIVA --.HAPPY I STUMBLED IN YOUR DEN--- KEEP UP THE GOOD.WORK

Sophie Pennes said...

This still is not working for me. I've been struggling for weeks! Please help me it always gives me this error message: 'We have not been able to verify your authority to this domain. Error 32.'

Admin-CT said...

Hello,
If you are still reading this, please note this does not work for blogger's new way of pointing to domain. It requires long cnames to be added which the dumb NS cannot accommodate. It always throws up errors.

Blogger wants me to add another CNAME record with value
'gv-ik5sai7f3563lhwsrehb2dooexsxkjojoepy5blasfh5pxfvb6za.domainverify.googlehosted.com."

Huh. Doh. NS sucks. Many ppl are stuck with this and I wont be using NS anymore.If you know a solution that still works with NS domains pointing to blogger, please let me know - ct0306@outlook.com.

Unknown said...

Thanks...