Monday, September 10, 2007

Hippity Hoppity

This little fellow (2" nose to tail) hopped in the house the other night. He's a bit hard to see since he blends in so well against those shiny synthetic carpet fibers.

I've left the doors open all summer so that our cats can come and go at will. Honestly, our cats drive me crazy. In. Out. In. Out. One screeches when it doesn't get its way, the other digs (and has ruined) the carpeting in front of the door until you give in.

Apparently an open door is an invitation for all sorts of varmints to wander in. About a month ago, on two separate nights within a week, a strange cat appeared and helped itself to the food set down for our cats in the kitchen. It was a pretty calico cat, with long legs and seven toes, that made a hasty retreat when I discovered its presence.

At the same time that hippity made his debut, a cricket shortly followed and a moth the size of a crow flew in and started dancing around the lamp. All, for those of you wondering, were safely scooped up and returned to the wilds of our front porch to continue a happy and healthy life.
*

6 comments:

evilganome said...

I'd suggest a cat flap, but I remember all too well what the weather can be that far north come winter. Besides a friend out on the cape had the cat flap boarded over the day a skunk decided to investigate the cool little door!

Steve said...

I do the bathroom window. Leave it cracked enough for the cat to get in and out. She usually sits on the garage roof; and stares down at me while I'm on the computer :P And living in the center of the city, I couldn't tell you the last time I've seen a frog!

dirk.mancuso said...

Oh my...I am rabies-phobic so I would flip out (and break out the disinfectant!) at the sight of a strange pussy in my kitchen.

Oh stop -- you know what I meant...

Anonymous said...

I was going to echo that it has been ages since I have seen a toad. Frogs, yes, by ponds and lakes, but I realized I haven't seen a toad in decades. I was stressing over this the other morning for some inane reason. I thought that we had probably driven them to the brink of extinction...lol. I need a vacation before November.

Greg said...

You're lucky it was a teeny frog. I had a plague of Jerusalem crickets a few years ago. Not only are they ugly, but they bite!

michael sean morris said...

Wild Kingdom: Albany