Sunday, March 30, 2008

Merry Christmas To Me In March!

A week ago yesterday, I ordered a bunch of plants from Aloha Orchid Nursery in Hawaii. With orchids, the more mature they are, the more expensive. So ones in a 4" pot are more than a 2" pot. Ones in bloom are more than ones with a spike, which are more than ones without. Two spikes are more expensive than one. Etc.

When I ordered a "grab bag" of 12 plants for $100 (FEDX shipping included!) I wasn't sure of what I'd get but I can say that I am very happy with the variety, quality, and maturity of the orchids I received. Three of them were cheaper dendrobium (the type usually in floral bouquets), but those are still ~$15 retail, and the Vanda could go for more than $25 alone. The plants all seem very healthy, with 6 in bloom and 4 more in spike!!!

They all came well packed in a pretty big box. Some of the flowers were crushed in packing/transport. I paid for a $4 warmer that they recommended for delivery in climates under 40 degrees but that wasn't in the box and I don't think it was a problem. But I paid for it.

Vanda Sirisak x Manuvedes: In bloom (flowers smooshed)
Phalaenopsis White: In bloom (flowers droopy and smooshed)
Slc. Jewel Box 'Red' (Cattleya): In bloom (flowers smooshed)

Bolopetalum Midnight Blue 'Cardinal's Roost': In bloom
Milt. Morris Chestnut 'Hilo Hilo' (Miltonia): In bloom on three spikes
Enc. Cordigerum V. Roseum (Encyclia): In bloom, fragrant

Mtssa. Shelob 'Tolkien' (Miltassia): No bloom, bud or spike
Mtdm. Bartley Swartz 'Highlander' (Miltonidium): Spike
D. Lavender (Dendrobium): Spike

Blc. Rosebud 'Hawaii' (Brassavola x Cattleya x Laelia): No bloom, bud or spike
D. White (Dendrobium): Spike
D. Pink (Dendrobium): Spike

Now if I can keep from killing them and get them to bloom every year I'll be even happier.
*

3 comments:

cb said...

Smell YOU with the orchids! I have a couple-- and I "think" i have a spike starting on one of them...

Haven't killed them yet so...

michael sean morris said...

I wish I could have more plants; Harvey Fierstein was wrong in "Torch Song Trilogy" - "indirect semi-shade" is not good for plants. Whatever the north light didn't kill the cat would.

Anonymous said...

OK I see the plastic you were talking about in another post...that needs to be removed asap or you will get root rot and the plants will indeed die!
The care on all those are different as well, just something to be aware of if youre not already. Brassia and dens are cooler growing generally, phals can be kept cooler to warmer. Vandas like warm for sure and brighter light. Encyclia brite to indirect light and kept fairly moist. Bolopetalum is intermediate temps and moist (moist,not wet for any orchid including masd. and never direct light (in a window sill) unless you are growing outside such as with vandas behind sheers works good), the brass. catt. laelia. mixed one..wow lol umm Id try brite to indirect light let dry slightly between waterings and cool to intermediate temps 70-80....not sure if you need all that info but thought I'd throw it out there!