Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Utah Trip: Around Salt Lake City

Utah is the Beehive State. Utahns relate the beehive symbol to industry and the pioneer virtues of thrift and perseverance.


Trolley Square is a retail center that is in an old factory space. In New York City, it probably would have been converted to condos in the meatpacking district. I really enjoy walking through but most of the space is vacant. There is a Banana Republic, Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware, and a few specialty shops sprinkled in between.


When I was looking for parking close to Temple Square, I found this interesting low-tech parking system. It is essentially an honor system. You park in a numbered space, proceed to this board, literally fold up your money, and push it in the corresponding slot. You haven't "officially paid" until the money is completely in the slot so they suggest you use your car key to push it in all the way. There are no attendants. I wasn't staying all day so I left, honest Abe that I am, and paid 50¢ at an on-street metered space rather than waste $5 or take a spot and not pay. For me, at least, the honor system worked!

2 comments:

cb said...

Yes, in the more provinical US of A we still have the olde time parking technology.

rodger said...

Trolley Square was sparsely occupied when I was there 15 years ago. I guess time really does stand still in Utah.

Oh...we have a few of those parking boards too. Yep...time stands still in Portland as well.