Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Merry Effing Christmas

If you are adverse to profanity, this is not the post for you. It would simply diminish the impact if I were to change anything. You've been warned.


It all started yesterday at the post office. I am setting up a business (more on that Thursday) and I needed to get some things handled at the local branch of the USPS. It is in a very small town and there is only one person that works there. It is closed from 12:30 to 2 for her lunch break. I chose it because it is closer to home and the PO Boxes were $15 less per year.

I arrived at 2 and there was one person in front of me at the only window open and another customer came in shortly thereafter.

When I reached the counter, the first thing up was the PO Box. I had all my documents in order — I had printed out the form the night before and filled it out, and had my driver's license and passport out for my two forms of photo ID. She did her paperwork, explained the box, and handed me the two keys.

Two people came in and stood in line.

Next was two books of festive nutcracker stamps for my holiday cards. I know, I'm late, late, late with those. I just haven't felt very creative with my letter this year and am waiting for inspiration.

Two more people came in and stood in line.

I apologized to the counter person and she assured me not to worry. I handed her my bank deposit that had to go Certified Mail with Return Receipt. All forms were already filled out.

Two more people came in and stood in line.

I had to get two $1,000 money orders.

Another person came in, a crotchety old geezer, and stood in line. The geezer started bitching about the line from the moment he walked in the place. The USPS person counted all my money, handed me all my items, and I was set. And the old man was still complaining.

I was thisclose to fucking going off on his ass. I mean, how important is his life that he can't stand in line for two minutes? It's not like I was dilly dallying, doing special things, or didn't know what I was doing. I was prepared and didn't even have to stand there and fill out any forms. I realize I had a lot to do but those things happen.

I stewed about it as I went and made sure the keys worked in the box. There was a snide comment welling up inside me to unleash on his sorry ass but I held my tongue.

Cut to this afternoon.

I went to the County Court House, the bank, and then to the grocery store.

Usually, when I'm in a foul mood and on the verge of going off on someone, I know it and I take caution to keep from anything that is going to upset me. Normally I'm a mild-mannered Mr. Congeniality, except when I've got someone turning my crank. When the "safety latch" on the crank is yanked, I go off like a roman candle. I'm belligerent and foul mouthed. Thankfully, it is only on rare occasions.

Subconsciously, I must have been holding onto the post office geezer incident.

After doing the grocery shopping, I get out to the car and load all the stuff into the trunk. I close the door and I look to see where the cart return is located. It is equidistant to the cart return corral and the front of the store so I return it to the front of the store. I worked my way through college at a grocery store and I hated getting carts, wishing people would just return them, so I make a conscious effort to place the cart in the appropriate spot. (I also get a cart in the parking lot and bring it in with me when I get to the store.)

I get back to my car, hop in, and back out of my space.

A man comes into my parking space from the front, screaming at me. He's got ahold of the cart that had been at the front of my car. At first, I think he's trying to get my attention that I've mistakenly left something in my cart. But that ain't my cart so no worries. He continues, his face scrunched in anger and hate. He flings the cart and it hits the car parked in the spot next to mine.

That was all it took. Mary had just yanked my safety latch and stomped on my last nerve. A nerve, I suspect, he won't soon forget.

I leapt out of the car and yelled, "What's the problem?"

"You didn't return your cart," he screamed.

Oh no you di-int. I. Went. Off.

"That isn't my fucking cart, you asshole. If you were paying attention, you would know that I returned my cart to the front of the store. Next time you're gonna stick your ugly puss in someone else's business, make sure you have your fucking facts straight. Merry fucking Christmas, you fucking douche bag."

I got back in the car and slammed the door. Until then, I hadn't noticed the woman loading groceries into her trunk two cars down. Poor thing, it looked like she was pretending to be invisible. I could have gotten back out and apologized to her for my cursing but I think it was for the best I just left.

I drove away with steam coming out of my ears. My adrenaline is still pumping.

The lesson is that you just never know who you're going to piss off.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ouch. Hope you feel better now! The holiday season does seem to bring out the asshole in everyone (myself included).
--Alex

Jodi said...

You know what, you took all you could take and you blew. You are human. That would have pissed me off too. People think they are all high and mighty and some need a swift reality check and you gave it to that guy. I am the same way that you are with shopping carts. I always bring them back and take one with me. There is nothing I hate more than coming back to my car and seeing a shopping cart pressed against my car because the wind blew a cart into it because some lazy ass couldn't walk it 10 feet. I applaud you. That guy probably shit a brick when you went off on him.

I'll try and give a Cliff Notes version on what happened to me once when a what I like to call "punk" teen was working at the grocery store. It was obvious Mom & Dad forced him to get a job. I had Boca Burgers (don't ask..LOL) and they were on sale for $2.50 each. It rang up full price $4.99. I told the kid that they were on sale and should be half off. He looks at me...and goes "Uh-oh, HITS TOTAL, then says...Whoops, already hit TOTAL, you got to go to customer service". This was AFTER I told him. My blood boiled at this spiteful little S.O.B. I went OFF on him. I walked away from the register, left my whole order there and marched right to customer service. I spoke with a manager who immediately called the kid away from the register since he was still involved in my transaction. The manager went off on him and fired him on the spot. Apparently he was being horrible to customers all day long and my situation was the straw that broke the camel's back. People in the line behind me were clapping as he took off his apron and handed it to the manager. He looked at me and said "Thank you so much lady, I wanted out of this job and now I got out." So, it was all a ploy so he could leave the job his parents forced him to get. I still get pissed everytime I think of that kid. I wonder how many other people he has harrassed since then.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear of your bad day buddy. But it sounds like you maybe needed to give off some steam or it could have built up in you even more. I have to say I would have reacted the same way too if I am honest. Sometimes I think the more pleasant I am too people the more rude they become. Admittedly I have had many outbursts in my local post office. We live in a little village and its full of the blue rinse brigade (pensioners). Most are always courteous and nice but the odd one always pushes to the front of the queue shouting things like "let me by, I fought in the war for you". Now even though he may have fought in the war, bad manners and rudeness still makes me explode. I hope you are feeling better now buddy :-)

Lacey said...

god I LOVE it when you talk dirty...

Anonymous said...

I must be a jerk myself....I enjoyed your story too much and found myself laughing as you discovered the little grandma who'd listened to it all. Why am I feeling guilty for laughing? IT WAS a sad story. THANKS, Gavin......great Christmas story.

Doralong said...

There's a good reason I try and avoid the general public as much as possible this time of year.