Saturday, December 06, 2008

Nobel Medicine Laureate Predicts "Therapeutic" AIDS Vaccine

I missed doing a post on World AIDS Day. I try do something different when I post and I didn't have anything to add. I just spotted this article and it is too good of news not to pass on.

Luc Montagnier, 76, was a co-winner of the 2008 Nobel Prize for Medicine. Montagnier, with fellow French researcher Francoise Barre-Sinoussi, discovered that HIV causes AIDS by destroying immune cells.

He stood by his view that a "therapeutic vaccine" for the AIDS pandemic could be created within four to five years. He noted that work on a vaccine has been going on for 10 years and that it was easier to research a therapeutic rather than a preventative vaccine. Barre-Sinoussi said it is impossible to say when a preventative AIDS vaccine would be made available and that researchers must keep working on it.
Progress!

No comments: