Monday, February 16, 2009

Yup, It's A Woodpecker

It's the little downy woodpeckers that come to the suet feeders near the windows. I've seen another, larger bird hopping through the birch and maple trees in the yard and I thought it was a flicker. My brother, despite my insisting he was wrong, said it was a woodpecker.

So I got out the camera and the bird book and settled the dispute once and for all. My brother was right. It is a Red-Bellied Woodpecker. In the first four pics below, you can see a side view of it pecking for sap in an area where the birch tree lost a limb a long time ago. I included the last pic so you can see a back view where it has a barred pattern and it's head is completely red (rather than the flicker's red spot on the nape).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

GREAT picture.........of a bird we do not have out here..........Nice to see it.