Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Thank You On Veterans' Day

I want to take some time to remember our Veterans today. While this country is far from perfect, it is those (and their families) who have made the ultimate sacrifice that allow us to criticize it freely.

After Pearl Harbor, my father didn't seek deferments so he could stay home. He practically ran to the recruitment office so he could sign up and fight for our country. Brave men from a great generation. To the families who also made sacrifices, I salute you. To my grandmother who worked in a munitions factory to support the war and who kept the Christmas tree up until April in the hopes that my father would come home to enjoy it, I appreciate your service.

I could spend this entire post complaining about "Don't Ask, Don't Tell." But you know what? I can (and do) do that the other 364 days of the year. Today is for the Veterans. Thank you.

No comments: