Friday, June 08, 2007

Going, Going, GONE

Isaiah Washington's contract option was not renewed for next season on Grey's Anatomy, five months after creating a furor by referring to co-star T.R. Knight as a "faggot" on the set. While it wasn't spoken directly to Knight, he did overhear the remark.

"I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore," Washington said in a statement. This story could get ugly. Or should I say uglier!

Washington tried to make amends by seeking therapy, meeting with officials from the GLSEN and GLAAD, and filmed a public service announcement in which he said "words have power" to hurt or heal.

We'll probably never know the real reason he was cut but I tend to think it was more related to his behavior at the Golden Globe Awards in January when he jumped to the microphone in front of the entire cast and denied the incident. It embarrassed the entire cast and show creator Shonda Rhimes — and that's a no-no. Having one enemy in the cast is one thing, pissing them all off is quite another. People have long memories especially when you ruin the most important night of their lives.
*

2 comments:

dirk.mancuso said...

He should've gotten the boot 5 months ago, but better late than never I guess.

I never liked his character before the brouhaha, so his exit will only improve the show for me.

Big Daddy said...

I'm with Dirk. I didn't like his character.

But then again, I stopped watching after the ferry crash 'cliffhanger'.

Totally jumped the shark for me.