Sunday, October 01, 2006

Gone Apple Pickin'

New York isn’t called ‘The Big Apple’ for nothing. New York State is second only to Washington in apple production.

As a yearly rite, yesterday I went apple picking at Bowman Orchards with a friend I've known since childhood and her 9-year-old son. The orchard is absolutely huge where they grow 32 different types of apple trees with many rows dedicated to each. Since this is the beginning of October, most varieties are ripe for the picking. Granny Smith, I'm sad to report, won't be ready for another couple of weeks.

We had expected a crowd, but even on a cool day threatening rain, there was a larger-than-expected backup on the main road. Once on the dirt road that winds through the orchard, the guys directing traffic told us it was a 45 minute wait to exit. As we snaked past row after row of trees in a bumper to bumper conga line, we watched for sign posts that alert apple pickers where they can find their favorites. Pull off the drive, stop the car, hop out, and pluck a fresh sample from a branch. Good? Start filling your bag(s)...but remember you'll pay by the pound when you leave. Bad? Toss it on the ground and start looking for your next tasty conquest.

I managed to eat my way from one end of the orchard to the other...one crunchy bite at a time. In the end, I stuck to purchasing my favorites — Cortland for eating, Empire for baking — and a new variety simply called NY674. I'd say it was 'delicious', but I don't like Delicious, so that would be a bit confusing!

In addition to apples, the farm grows pumpkins, raspberries, strawberries, and peaches. The shop offers freshly made apple cider donuts (yum!), fudge, ice cream, and pressed apple cider. There's a large play area for the children with mazes, pony rides, etc. I'd say the kiddies rated it a success based on the way they were running around like holy terrors screaming and hollering and laughing!

2 comments:

Breenlantern said...

so...baking....how might we sample some of that :-)

ArichNY said...

I agree....a sample sounds mighty fine! Very nice post...reminds me of many outings I've gone on with my family. I'm looking forward to another one at the end of October when they come to visit. I sure hope there's some apples left on the trees by then!