Saturday, November 18, 2006

Oh Deer, Oh Deer, Part 2!!

For the first time ever, I saw a male deer in the back this morning. I noticed a large lump of grayish brown on the ground in the back field and, while I thought it was a deer, I had never seen any of them laying down so I figured it was a big clump of dead grass.

I went about my business of getting organized for the morning and returned to the kitchen to make some coffee. That's when I saw him! Like I said, a buck for the first time. We see does and fawns here all the time (see Oh Deer, Oh Deer!! from earlier this week) but never a male. My brother sees them all the time but he lives further out in the country.

When you talk about bucks, you always include how many 'points' they have to convey their age and size. Points are how many tips they have on their antlers. The bigger the rack, the larger and more mature. I'd say this young guy had about four points although it was hard to tell at the distance.

I'll keep you posted with a pic if he returns. His ass picked a crappy time to show up...hunting season starts today.

Update: I went out into the back a couple hours after I initially wrote this post. I heard a rustling in the overgrowth, and about 2 minutes later, the buck was bolting across the highway and was almost struck by two cars.

No comments: