Monday, December 25, 2006

Some Thoughts On Re-Gifting

For the record, let me first state that I have never re-gifted. Sure, I have received things that I've passed along to others, but I always told the recipient where it had come from.

So, here are my rules for re-gifting:

#1. Don't re-gift. If you feel as though you don't want to spend money on someone — so something from your closet will do — may I suggest that you probably shouldn't be exchanging gifts with that person anyway.

#2. Don't re-gift crap. Sell it on e-Bay or at a garage sale. If it doesn't sell there, donate it to charity or throw it in the trash. Don't pass off something you don't want onto someone else who won't want it either.

#3. If you can't afford to give gifts to everyone in your life, say so. If you're worried about feeling guilty about receiving something but not reciprocating, make your no gift intentions known ahead of time. When I was making a lot of money, I gave generously and without expectation. Now that I hardly make anything, I don't give at all.

#4. If you just can't help yourself, make sure the re-gift is appropriate for the recipient. I suppose this applies to general gift giving as well, but seems to be exacerbated when you've got an item you're trying to foist off onto some poor unsuspecting soul. If you have a stuffed pig, find a pig collector to give it to...the clown collector probably won't appreciate it.

#5. Make sure you are honest about what it is and where it came from. "I received this from [insert name here]. It's really nice but I can't use it. I immediately thought of you since I know you enjoy these things." I wouldn't take offense if it is something that I really might like.

#6. Birds of a feather flock together. If you're a re-gifter, chances are the other re-gifters on your list will smell a pass-along from a mile away. Not re-gifting is the best way to keep from getting caught and saving any potentially embarrassing moments.

I'd rather get no gift than one that is insincere.

Merry Christmas!

No comments: