Thursday, January 25, 2007

Giving Solomon A Bath

I had this photo forwarded to me as part of an amusing email. It reminded me of my dear Solomon, the abyssinian cat I had as my constant companion for 16 years. He had a ruddy colored father with a silver mother — his coloring was brown with silver undertones. I am a cat person (I live with two now) and he had a personality like no other kitty I've ever encountered. Part cat, part dog, part human.

I got him when he was 11 weeks old and I started training him immediately. First up was going for rides in the car. For the rest of his life, he loved riding in the car. My best friend used to call him Toonces from SNL. He'd stand with his hind paws on the passenger seat and his front paws on the dashboard and watch the world go by. Always good for a laugh when we were stopped at a traffic light and the driver next to us looked over.

When we had an infestation of fleas, I began to give him baths. Now most cats would claw you up one side and down the other. Solomon, on the other hand, would speak and tell you in no uncertain terms how he felt. He got a bath once a month for his whole life and he knew what he was in for when he heard the tub being filled with water. Rather than shower him like in the photo at top, I'd fill the tub and set him in it. He'd run for cover and hide when I'd first try to catch him but he never scratched me once and would slowly make a half-hearted attempt to try and get out of the tub once he was immersed. We had a routine. Once the tub was filled, I'd find him and ask, "Do you want to take a bath?" To which he would respond with a howl, "Nooooooooooooooooo!"

It's been three years since I had to put him down due to liver cancer. I still miss him so.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cat bathing has become a topic of discussion in our home recently. We have a couple feline companions and have differing opinions on the matter. For clarification, differing opinions between my partner and I, not between us and the cats.

I am of the opinion that they will naturally take care of themselves and each other, so for us to bathe them is not necessary. Of course that was immediately translated into a challenge and soon after water was running in the tub. Being a wise man he selected the sweeter and less aggressive of the two cats for his experiment. It was a water only test which resulted in pathetic cries (from the cat) and a long period of licking, paw shaking, and a look of disgust that clearly said "how could you do this to me?".

Of course he considered this validation of his opinion on the matter and now talks of plans to start bathing them regularly. Admittedly, I am somewhat curious to see what will happen when he tries the same thing with the other, more aggressive and somewhat psychotic cat. Would it be wrong to hide the band-aids?

Last week was the first anniversary of the loss of our previous cat, Shadow. Like Solomon, she was a beloved companion for over 16 years. As much as I love and enjoy our cats now, I still miss her terribly.

Gavin said...

I can hear it now, "Hooobbbbbbbssss!"