Sunday, February 11, 2007

Pay It Forward

Have you done something nice for someone else lately, with no expectation of reciprocation?

When I ordered dinner at the local Fish Fry tonight I used a 10% off coupon I had clipped a couple of weeks ago. As I waited for my food to be prepared, a family on vacation came in. An attractive couple in their 30's with four children in tow ranging from 3 to 8 years old. I looked out into the parking lot and they were driving a minivan with New Jersey plates. This is very common as our town is on the best route to Vermont so we have lots of travellers come through.

As I listened to them order, I thought how it was going to cost them a fortune. Fish frys, chicken tenders, fries, onion rings, and shakes all the way around.

I took my dinners to go and out the door I went. Then I remembered I had another coupon in the car. I grabbed it and went back inside and gave it to him and told him "Merry Christmas!" I turned and started on my way back out to the car. I heard the wife say to her husband, "That was awful nice!" I could hear the smile in her voice. Who knows, maybe that will be one of the good things they remember from their trip.

Good things happen. And we have the power every day to make them happen.

2 comments:

Pete said...

I try to do something nice for someone everyday from holding the door open for people to paying random compliments to strangers and folks that interact with. It is amazing how these little things can bring a smile to someone's face.

Michael said...

Good for you--I love random acts of kindness!