Sunday, March 25, 2007

Interesting Blog Hit

Fellow blogger Manhattan Chowder posted last week about an interesting visitor to his blog via a rather unique google search.

I had one today that reminded me of a more complex issue:

Someone from Teheran, Iran hit my blog. No, they didn't hit my post where I called President Ahmadinejad short and smelly. It wasn't where I talked about Iran denouncing the movie 300 as psychological warfare. Nor was it when I explained Iran's impending energy crisis and their quest for nuclear energy.

This person was searching on....Anna Nicole Smith!

The whole situation reminded me of an op-ed in The Wall Street Journal several weeks ago. Long story short, they opined that Anna Nicole Smith is the epitome of why the rest of the world loves the United States and also why they hate us at the same time. She represents freedom and beauty. She also represents how our society can reward people without talent with riches and fame. Imagine that you are in Iran and the only thing you see about the United States is reflected in Anna Nicole Smith. We in the U.S. know how to put that in perspective, but folks in distant lands don't. She, like it or not, is one of the most visible faces of America and our culture.
*

3 comments:

Michael said...

And to think I criticized the news coverage of ANS's death (which once again is a top story today) as excessive! I guess her death reaches farther and has more implications than we realized.

michael sean morris said...

"Reading Lolita in Teheran" is one thing, but "Googling Anna Nicole in Teheran" is off the hook.

Congrats on the international hit, by the way. I can't wait to figure out how to do that myself.

Gavin said...

I seem to get lots of search bot hits from China. After you upload a post, you go to the front of the queue for people who click the "Next Blog" button.

I have quite a few regulars on my Alzheimer's Moments blog. The Netherlands, Singapore, and Argentina. I don't think there is much out there by way of Alz blogs so I probably come up high in a google search.