Monday, June 25, 2007

New York City On A Budget

I was able to semi-retire nine years ago because I'm wise with my money. I'm not cheap, but I clip coupons, take advantage of bargains, and don't spend impulsively or frivolously.

Here's how I did NYC on a budget:

Train
Rather than take Amtrak from Albany/Rensselaer to Penn Station, I drove to Poughkeepsie to the northern-most MTA line and took the express into Grand Central.
Spent: $40
Amtrak: $105
Savings: $65
Spent amount includes gas, thruway and bridge tolls, and (free weekend) parking.

The Drowsy Chaperone
Took the S train from Grand Central to Times Square immediately after arriving to get 2 p.m. matinee tickets at TKTS. My first choice, Spring Awakening, was sold out so I chose The Drowsy Chaperone. I was in Orchestra Row P to the right of the stage.
Spent: $56.25
TeleCharge.com: $118.25
Savings: $62

The Color Purple
The Times Square TKTS booth doesn't sell tickets for evening performances until 3 — when I was going to be in the matinee show — so I hopped the 2 train down to the South Street Seaport TKTS booth to get evening tickets. I was in the Rear Mezzanine Row F to the left of the stage.
Spent: $46.25
TeleCharge.com: $95.50
Savings: $49.25

Hotel
After getting the tickets, I headed up on the 4 train to the hotel to check in. I stayed at the 4-Star Millennium UN Plaza Hotel that I booked through hotwire.com. The hotel was very nice and the room quite large. There was no mini-fridge — mini-bar items were on the dresser. No ice or vending machines on any floor. Ice was only available through room service and soda/snacks at the high mini-bar price. When traveling, I think it's always best to buy your treats off-site so you get more of a selection at a fairer price.
Spent on Hotwire.com: $159
Full Price: $259
Savings: $100

Parade
An afternoon of people watching entertainment.
Spent: FREE!

Transportation
Took the subway and hoofed it instead of taking cabs.
Spent: $14 for two single-day unlimited MetroCard. The hotel was four long (avenue) blocks from Grand Central so that was a 10 minute walk. Not ideal since it was pretty hot out but in the end it was good exercise.

Totals
Train, Hotel, 2 Shows, Parade
Spent: $315.50
Full Price: $577.75 + any potential cab fare
Savings: $262.25 (~45%)!

I got to do almost everything I wanted, didn't have to accept anything sub-par, and now I can do it all again. By smart shopping, I get two trips to NYC for the price of one! (Or, I'm thinking about going to Ireland to visit a friend. If I can find cheap airfare, I'm there!)

Here's the view from my hotel room on the 30th floor. You can see Roosevelt Island in the East River and beyond that is the "new" Citicorp building (bottom photo, center right) in Long Island City. You can see Queens (bottom photo, left) and Brooklyn (bottom photo, right). The hotel is directly across from the United Nations on First Avenue. I was in the East tower (top photo, on left) so my view of the U.N. and points south was obstructed by the West tower (top photo, center). Trump World is the tall black box (top photo, on right).

*

1 comment:

michael sean morris said...

So cool.

I'd love to see the Drowsy Chaperone live instead of having to try and figure out what's going on from the songs.

I assume when she sings "I Don't Wanna Show Off" she's showing off the entire time, but I can't see what or how.

Thanks for the tips. My own trip to NYC will also be on a budget.