Monday, June 25, 2007

NYC Heritage Of Pride Parade

Back in the day when I was an up-and-comer in the corporate world, I always went to New York City for PC EXPO at the Jacob Javits Convention Center. I'd fly into Albany to stay with family, train in and out of NYC for the show and Pride, and then return home to California. Airfare used to be considerably cheaper with a "Saturday night stay" — so much so that it was less expensive for the company to have you stay over the weekend and pay for your hotel. I got to see a lot of the U.S. that way. Win-win!

We always stayed at the Parker Meridian on 56th between 6th and 7th, just around the corner from Carnegie Hall (I followed Mel Torme on the sidewalk one night to the hotel...me returning from a Broadway show, him from a performance at CH). From the hotel, I'd hop over to St. Patrick's Cathedral to watch all the hoopla surrounding the protesters who always showed up to shout ugly things and hold aloft equally offensive (biblically-inspired?) signs. I always wondered what the event looked like from their eyes. Three hours worth of constant revelry going by and the sidewalks of 5th Avenue absolutely packed with spectators standing 10 deep as far as the eye could see. Did they feel righteous? Did they feel hopeless? Did they feel overwhelmed?

This year's parade stepped off at 5th and 52nd at noon and progressed down 5th and made some zig zags through the West Village to Christopher and Greenwich Streets. A moment of silence was to be held at 2 p.m. but we didn't experience that where we were. I recall the goosebumps I used to feel as the entire parade route would go from a mass cacophony to complete silence. We'd bow our heads and raise our right hands in a fist to remember those of us who were suffering with, or had succumbed to, HIV/AIDS.

It seemed there was always a straight tourist couple near me that would invariably ask, "What's going on now?" I'd think, "Ummm, shut your pie hole, can't you see we're all being quiet now?" Instead, I'd gently hold my pointer finger over my lips to shush them, and then I'd turn and explain the meaning when the crowd finally erupted in a roar. The visitors would always sheepishly nod their heads in understanding. In a way, I was imparting to them "gay culture" and it was important that I not be rude no matter my level of irritation. This was important to us and it was important for them to know why.

I didn't get many photos..and some of the ones I took didn't turn out very well. At top is Reverend Dr. Troy Perry who was one of the Grand Marshals. The photo of Rabbi Sharon Kleinbaum, the other Grand Marshal, was too blurry to post. As was the "cooter alert" photo of the hot pants clad gal dancing on the fire escape above us. Then there was "the man" seen at left. I'll call him eye candy here, but in my dreams he's so much more!

I was fortunate enough to catch up with the authors of some of my favorite blogs. Joe, of Joe.My.God. fame, put out a call to his readers to meet at the intersection of Christopher and Gay streets. Joe's blog is what inspired me to begin writing my own. I still haven't decided if that was a blessing or a curse. Either way, I hold him responsible!

When I first arrived at the designated corner, I introduced myself to David and we had a fine chat while we were waiting for the others to arrive. [When we left, David saved me some serious time by pointing me to a blue line subway station that saved me from the queue waiting for a red line at Christopher street.] Next came the Farmboyz, always on the lookout for controversy with a camera at the ready. Just kidding boys! ;) And Joe arrived with guests in tow. I get the impression he's always got something going on with somebody! There were a few others who's names I don't recall and others whose anonymity I will respect. I will say that everyone looks like they do in their photos and I was able to see them approaching in the crowd with no difficulty. Watch their blogs for more photos.

I did find it interesting that a couple of consistent, yet semi-anonymous, commenters on Joe's blog showed up and introduced themselves to him. He was clearly tickled. The blogosphere is an odd world. Do we know each other? Yes, some of us "intimately" because people share their innermost thoughts. Have we met? Not necessarily. Is it possible to be intimate with someone you've never met? I guess that's a good question in the computer age!

My last photo worth posting is of Evita. God bless her heart, there's one in every gay crowd!
*

6 comments:

Red Seven said...

Sounds like a blast. Someday, I'd like to do Pride in NYC or SF -- as it stands, I only go to DC Pride if I have a bunch of reliably fun and silly friends to go with ...

Anonymous said...

Gavin, it was an honor to meet you! So often, the gay culture is peppered with aloof but mostly handsome men striking a pose with a "look at me" kind of 'tude. It was refreshing to meet such an ad hoc group of engaging men. Yourself included. Certainly our group of intimate strangers had reason to be proud.

Anonymous said...

Widh I had been there! Sounds like you all had a blast!

Anonymous said...

Opps, I'm lisping again! "WISH" I had been there...

Gavin said...

Crixi, I felt the same way. A great group of fellows brought together in the blogosphere. Thanks for commenting (and the compliment *blush*). I hope I see you guys soon...either here in cyberspace or in NYC at the next JMG "casting call"!

Tater, I think you'd have been like a pea in a pod with the rest of us. :)

Big Daddy said...

I heart Mel Torme!