Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Review: Fantasia In The Color Purple

The main purpose of my getaway to New York City was to see Fantasia in The Color Purple. I love American Idol and I love me some Fantasia. Throw in Pride Weekend and it's an unbeatable combination!

I went into the play without many pre-conceived notions other than Fantasia has the ability to blow the roof off. I never read the book, and have become quickly bored and disinterested in the movie the couple of times I've started to watch it. I thought it was about slavery but it isn't — the time is set from 1909 to 1949. It's the story of perseverance against a cruel world, about being yourself, and about coming to realize that what's most important in life is being a good person and understanding that everyone is worthy of being treated with dignity and respect.

In a nutshell: Fantasia was great; the play, not so much. I was in the balcony so I'm not sure what the quality of Fantasia acting was up close, but from where I was, she did a great job and seemed to really be in character the entire performance. I was a bit disappointed that none of the songs really showcased her powerful voice. I suppose since she stepped into the role there wasn't the ability to adjust the songs very much to highlight her strength in that area. She broke loose a couple of times but I had to recalibrate my expections and remind myself that this was a Broadway musical and not a Fantasia concert.

The play takes the audience to Africa immediately after intermission. I literally fell asleep. For that reason alone I can't give the show a glowing review. I don't know if this was caused by me being really tired (I don't think so); that the number wasn't very interesting (yes); or that I'm just over the same "back to Africa" number that seems to be plopped down in the middle of any show that calls for such a plot device in the script...dancers in body paint, tom tom drums, etc. Boooorrriiinnngggg.

I'd recommend the show if you're a diehard Fantasia fan. But when I hear Oprah declare that a lot of people say they've been "profoundly effected" I think she's overselling it by quite a bit. Don't pay full price. One positive thing about it being in such a large venue is that availability is good at TKTS for 50% off the day of the performance.


The show is playing at the Broadway Theatre located at Broadway and 53rd. The place is huge and seats almost 2,000 people. A deep and wide orchestra level and expansive balcony with upper and lower sections. I was in Row F of the upper balcony to the left of the stage. The cavernous nature of the theatre made it a bit difficult to hear the quiet dialogue and fast-paced singing of intricate lyrics.

The only other time I've been here was for a performance of Miss Saigon in the early 90's. In that case, the size of the theatre worked to the benefit of the play by allowing the final scene with the helicopter to be just incredible.
*

5 comments:

John said...

You should read the book; it's very powerful. The movie was not that great. I can't imagine a musical version that wouldn't trivialize the content, so i won't be seeing it.

But the book really is worth your time.

Anonymous said...

I agree, the book was excellent.
The movie was pretty good too. I will pass on the musical, but I really like Fantasia. Thank you for the review, I probably woulda wasted some money on this.

cb said...

I'm extraordinarily upset with you that you bagged on the movie "the color purple". It is fairly awesome, and if you have even the teensiest of grinch-hearts, you will bawl your eyes out.

aimky said...

I just saw the play Monday night. It was spectacular. Having never read the book nor seen the movie, I had no expectations. I never cared for Fantasia's voice before so I was a bit reluctant to even go at first. After seeing the play, I have a renewed respect for Fantasia as a performer. Her acting was stellar and her singing voice definitely grew on me. We had Angela Robinson as Shug Avery and she was amazing. Her voice was so powerful. I definitely was empowered by this play and I highly recommend that all women who have been through a struggle in life see this play. It is indescribable how much this play has changed me. As a woman who has been through a great deal in 35 years, I was moved by The Color Purple. I bought a T-shirt that says, "Too beautiful for words" and I wore it proudly yesterday, telling as many people as I could about my experience. I also bought the CD because the lyrics are very empowering and I want to remember the messages contained in them.

Anonymous said...

My daughter took me to see the play for my Birthday; and I must say the entire trip was spectacular and the play was the "icing on the cake." Fantasia AND the entire cast did a tremendous job. The play was OUTSTANDING!!! I must add that I have seen the movie (more than once) and read the book.