Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Top Video #6: Village People — Macho Man

When the Village People's Macho Man hit the airwaves, most of us were still listening for our favorite songs on transistor radios (the iPod was 25 years away) and taping them on those black Panasonic cassette recorders that everyone seemed to have with the little red "Record" button.

In 1978, I was a skinny kid in the 9th grade waiting impatiently to mature. We had a substitute teacher one day in English class. This teacher had substituted for my star-athlete brother's (9 years older than me) class years earlier and he claimed he felt she had come on to him. It wasn't said to anyone but our family but I remember it distinctly. Now here she is in my classroom, and I'm thinking, this bitch is a hussy so I'm just going to lay low. Ah, but she recognized me by the last name when she took attendance. Damn.

Fast forward to a discussion about Macho Man. She asked the class, "What is a 'macho man'?" Then, "Who is a 'macho man'?" Get where I'm going with this? She asks the girls, "Who in our class do you think is a 'macho man'?" They all look around bewildered, evaluating all the male students' testosterone quotient with their manliness meters. I started to slide down in my seat, thinking to myself that leatherman Glenn Hughes is the epitome of macho. But I know this whole situation is going to end up in the ditch and I'm going to suffer the most damage. Sure enough, she points directly at me and says, "I think he's a 'macho man'!" The class got a healthy dose of laughter out of that one. Why couldn't she just leave me the hell alone? I don't know if she did it because she knew my brother, was weirdly hitting on me, or trying to bolster the obviously pummeled self-esteem of a student (me). In the end, it felt like she was weirdly hitting on me. What a skank.

The Village People, who taught the world all about gay subculture without the straight population even knowing it, are at number 6 with Macho Man. To reader/commenter and all around blogger stud Dirk Mancuso...this is the Village People's only entry in the countdown. Y.M.C.A. never really did anything for me. :)

Body...wanna feel my body?
Body...(baby) such a thrill my body
Body...wanna touch my body?
Body...(baby) it's too much my body
Body...check it out my body
Body...don't you doubt my body
Body...talkin' bout my body
Body...check it out my body

Every man wants to be a macho macho man
To have the kind of body, always in demand
Jogging in the mornings, go man go
Work outs in the health spa, muscles glow
You can best believe that, he's a macho man
Ready to get down with, anyone he can

Hey! Hey! Hey, hey, hey!
Macho, macho man (macho man)
I've got to be a macho man
I've got to be a macho, macho man, yeah
I've got to be a macho! Ow....
Macho, macho man, yeah
I've got to be a macho man
Macho, macho man, hey hey
I've got to be a macho!

Body, body, body, body, wanna feel my body
Body, body, body, come and feel my body
Body, body, body, love to pop my body
Body, body, body, it's so hot, my body

Every man ought to be a macho, macho man
To live a life of freedom, machos make a stand
Have their own lifestyle and ideals
Possess the strength and confidence, life's a steal
You can best believe that he's a macho man
He's a special person in anybody's land

Hey! Hey! Hey, hey, hey!
Macho, macho man (macho man, yeah)
I've got to be a macho man
I've got to be a mucho, mucho, macho, man
I've got to be a macho! (See the hair on my chest?)

Macho, macho man (Dig my big thick mustache, alright)
I've got to be a macho man
I've got to be a mucho, mucho, macho, macho man
I've got to be a macho! (Big broad shoulders, yeah)

Macho, macho man (Dig my muscles)
I've got to be a macho man
Talking about a mucho, mucho, macho, macho man
I've got to be a macho! (Hey)

Macho, macho man, yeah, yeah
I've got to be a macho man
I've got to be a mucho, mucho, macho, macho man
All right
I've added the "top video" tag to all 10 videos for easy searching in the future.
*

4 comments:

cb said...

I think I was always more attracted to the construction worker. the leather dude's moustache was always just a bit much for me.

Big Daddy said...

I can't stand the Village People.

I guess I should hand in my Gay Card.

Although, I do like the song 'Go West'.

Michael said...

I was hot for David Hodo, the construction worker, myself. i was in 4th grade I think. These days, I'd probably choose the leather man, too!

dirk.mancuso said...

I gotta go with cb and michael and say the construction worker was the one that I was most drawn to. The leather man had me from the neck down, but that moustache was wa-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-y too scary for me at that age. (Actually, it's still pretty freakin' scary to me now...)