Friday, October 05, 2007

Hero Of The Week: Debbie Cole

It's stories like these that renew my faith in the American way:

A county garbage operations employee found a plastic bag on the road stuffed with $65,000 Thursday — and immediately turned it in to authorities. It turned out the money had fallen off a Loomis armored car half an hour before Debbie Cole found it near the Pinellas County solid waste operations facility where she works.

The 53-year-old Largo woman found the bag just before 7 a.m., full of enough $50 and $100 bills to pay her salary for two years. She immediately contacted a supervisor, who called deputies. Cole's boss, Bob Hauser, said he can't give her a raise or a bonus for her good deed because she's a government employee. But maybe, he said, he can arrange some extra time off.

Cole, who grew up on Long Island, said she was raised to be honest. She said she raised her four daughters the same way.

Did she think for just a minute about keeping the money? "Everyone keeps asking me that," Cole said. "To be honest, no. It didn't even cross my mind."
Way to go Debbie! You've earned recognition as my Hero of the Week!!!
*

4 comments:

ArichNY said...

Makes me proud to be a Pinellas County resident! A good selection for Hero of the Week!

RG said...

Good thing the County Republicans didn't find the trash bag.

Steve said...

Wow! That's awesome! If I found that much money I'd be afraid it was linked to organized crime. It would've never crossed my mind that it was from a armored bank truck.

evilganome said...

I have to admit, I would have had an internal struggle before I turned it in. And in all honesty, I probably wouldn't have turned it in due to simple honesty so much as trying to explain how I came by that much cash.