Thursday, December 13, 2007

Congratulations To NYS Teacher Of The Year

I received my quarterly alumni newsletter from the Franciscan college where I graduated. One of my classmates, who I knew casually as part of the "commuter" crowd, is highlighted in an article because he was recognized as the New York State Teacher Of The Year! There's a photo of him accepting the award from Governor Spitzer.

To increase my delight, the article mentions that he lives with his (male) partner in Rochester. The fact was included with such boring ordinariness, in the same way that a wife would have been written about, that I have to give props to the entire team in how they handled it. This is a Catholic college that takes its Franciscan traditions very seriously; the Feast of St. Francis is celebrated and many of the professors are friars that wear their robes tied with a white rope with three knots that signify poverty, chastity, and obedience.

I'm going to write a nice note to them since I've also taken them to task when they weren't so open minded. Excellent!
*

No comments: