Wednesday, March 26, 2008

I'm The Morton's Salt Girl

More fallout from my Post 1000.

I mentioned that some of my most popular posts are those dealing with my kidney stone battles. You may also recall that when I was trying to figure out why I was feeling so crappy a couple of months ago, I speculated that they might be part of the mix. After passing so many stones over the years, I know that when I'm not feeling right but there isn't an obvious reason, it may well be that I'm going to pass a stone. I even mentioned it as a possibility when I went to the doctor.

Last week, I had pain on the left side of my lower back. Not bad, but noticeable, and that's one of the first indicators of stone activity. That is, after the general crappy feeling. Today I was peeing a significant amount of blood.

Yes, my friends, I have a stone(s?) on the move.

So that means carbon monoxide, sleep apnea, and kidney stones. No wonder I felt like shit and my body wanted to sleep all the time.

When it rains, it pours. Fuck!
*

12 comments:

MoodyBlue said...

Awww, I'm sorry you aren't feeling well. My hubby gets kidney stones & they are awful for him. I hate to see him in that type of pain. I hope that you will pass it soon so you will feel better.

Y | O | Y said...

moodyblue--Does your husband drink diet soda? I figured out that's what my problem is...I'm sure the stone I'm going to pass was formed a while ago when I was trying to lose some weight.

Breenlantern said...

Aarrggghh. You just went through this. I am SO sorry. I wish you the quickest least painful stone passing possible. Sorry, my friend!

tater said...

You poor, poor, man. I wish you a speedy passing and a quick recovery. Do you get the morphine shots, or pass them without aid? So sorry to hear about this Gavin. You are so getting a big hug when I see you in NY.

Y | O | Y said...

Tate--I've only had morphine once, and that was when the pain was so bad I was hospitalized. I laid in a bed for 3 days on an IV drip to push the stone and morphine to lessen the pain. That was the time they put in a stent and I had lithotripsy 2 weeks later. All others, including the two 6mm I passed last summer, were without the aid of pain meds.

Doralong said...

Sometimes you just can't buy a break..

michael sean morris said...

It's funny how health problems can cause a bit of a log jam, until you've got two, then three, then four...

Okay, so maybe not funny ha-ha, but odd.

I wish you well in trying to achieve homeostasis, and I hope your mom is feeling better too.

RG said...

Man, I feel your pain. I've had kidney stones several times. It sucks. Cranberry juice baby. And for pain Thoradal - good shit.

MoodyBlue said...

y-o-y -- Yes, my husband drinks ALOT of Diet Coke. The doctor said also acidic foods like tomato sauce, pizza, etc. We are Italian so we do eat ALOT of that stuff. I want to say his one stone was 6 or 7mm also. It was horrific for him. He feels SO much better after he passes it and luckily he has. He went to the urologist that they recommended and they wanted to do the stent on him. He was all set to do it and chickened out a few days before the surgery. Yes, he still drinks the DC but also drinks alot of water and cranberry juice. The first time we went to the ER it was awful. They sent him home with a note that there was blood in his urine and 3hrs later in the ER we left with percocets and a suggestion to go to the urologist. They didn't do anything for him there. He too, like you, before he gets them starts to feel really shitty a few weeks before, then when he gets them he gets pains in his back so bad & his groin area. I feel so bad that there is nothing I can do for him. So I completely sympathize with your pain. I hope you feel better soon & it passes and that this is the last one for you!

Anonymous said...

Faithful reader in Idaho uncloaking here...

Things do happen in groups, but maybe you're working out all your bad health karma and will enjoy long periods of excellent health soon.

Or, at least I hope you will...

--Alex

Y | O | Y said...

Hi Alex! Thanks for the good vibes! :)

more cowbell said...

Ouch. Maybe you should take a Lamaze class?