Thursday, April 03, 2008

Açai Juice

Popular in South America, the latest craze sweeping the nation is açai (pronounced ah-sigh-EE) juice. Higher in antioxidants than either blueberries or pomegranates, the berry is trying to make a name for itself in the health food market. Problem is, it tastes like cough syrup from the 1970s. I bought a single little bottle to sample and I managed to take about three swallows and couldn't drink any more. I'm going mix it with some cran-pomegranate juice I have to see if I can disguise the taste and still get the benefits but I'm not hopeful.

Buyer beware cause this stuff ain't cheap and it's terrible. Then again, I can't stand the taste of beer, so what do I know about what tastes good according to the rest of the world?
*

7 comments:

Jodi said...

You aren't the only one..I despise the taste of beer. Plus the color isn't the most attractive thing if you catch my drift.

Anonymous said...

I also despise beer, but I've tries a different brand of açai that I found to actually be quite delicious. Hopefully it was just the brand that you tried was bad. The link below is to the brand that I tired, and I really enjoyed it. However, I preferred it when it came in the biodegradable "juice box" rather than another petroleum-based plastic bottle. Grr.

http://www.zolaacai.com/

Daniel said...

Oh lord, you are totally right! I tried it once and almost gagged.

Honestly, I don't think there is any point to all these health crazes. It's better to just eat fruit. An apple a day is better for you than just a horrible-tasting drink with echinacea, gingko or what not.

RG said...

Oh lord - just mix it with Vodka and stop complaining already.

Doralong said...

rg beat me to it.. Or tequila perhaps.

Gavin said...

Yes, RG, but why ruin good vodka? I will say that one of my favorite vodka martinis is with pomegranate juice. Yum!

Anonymous said...

"Or tequila perhaps."

She would get me in big trouble. For me, tequila is akin to a very potent hallucinogenic.