Monday, June 09, 2008

Nice Gardens Are Hard Work

I took on a large yard improvement project last week. It was the perfect time with mild weather — I beat the 90˚F heat and humidity this weekend. The whole project was started last year.

The Challenge
Bring life to a section of the yard that the family regards with sentimentality. My father passed away under these pine trees and my mother found him one spring day when she returned home from work. There is a cement angel statue that serves as a memorial that was hidden behind the choke cherry bush and small pine tree that was growing up from a root.

The pines were planted back in 1955 after my parents moved here. Hard to believe that we cut one of them down one year for our Christmas tree (they were that size) in the early 70s when times were tough.


Phase 1
Last year, I began renovating the area.
• Added 6 cubic yards of top soil.
• Added pea gravel path to the back field.
• Bought two 3' picket fences and painted them white so the plants wouldn't blend in with the field.
• Bought cement pavers and created elevated area around the angel statue.
• Placed bird bath.
• Bought wagon and planted pots.
• Planted a variety of hostas (Halcyon, Anne, Mouse Ears, Patriot, and several others).
• Planted annuals of zinnia, coleus, pom-pom marigolds.
• Planted perennials of cactus dahlias, allium, coneflower, shasta daisy, coreopsis, and sedum.


The New Challenge
Update the area, taking advantage of what worked and learning from what didn't.


Phase 2
This year, there was less planning and more doing.
• Removed the pea gravel path because the pines dropped so many needles it was a mess. I sifted out all the needles, washed the gravel, and relocated it in the yard.
• Relocated the bird bath out of the area since it would fill with pine needles.
• Relocated the mini picket fence pieces since they were no longer adequate in size with the path removed.

I ordered three more cubic yards of topsoil. I had to wheel barrow all of it about 50 yards from the driveway in the front to the backyard. This comes from a local farm and it has a high level of manure content. Recycle!


And I recruited an assistant who was by my side the entire time...


...while another chose to relax and enjoy the nice weather.


• Purchased two new 8' lengths of picket fence and put in place.
• Raised and moved existing plants as necessary.
• Cut down choke cherry bush.
• Split and relocated hostas elsewhere in the yard to this area.
• Split and planted a bleeding heart.
• Dug up allium and daffodil bulbs and relocated elsewhere in the yard.
• Planted astilbe.
• Planted impatiens and sweet potato vine in the border since the zinnia, sedum, marigolds, allium, coneflower, shasta daisy, and coreopsis didn't work out.

My Dad built the shed seen here.


The area is now a more fitting memorial to my father. I think I've got most of the plant structure in place and the perennials will be well established in a couple more years. Now the only maintenance will be to rake the pine needles, put in annuals, and plant pots for the wagon every year.
*

7 comments:

ArichNY said...

You've done a beautiful job! It looks like a nice relaxing place to hang out! Miss you!

mmennonno said...

Look at you! Wow, beautiful!

cb said...

I DO like it better now. The hostas, the burmed earth, the gentle curve, etc... all framed well.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful work! Do you do long-distance landscape contracting?

BTW, those furry guys are supervisors, not assistants, thank you very much!
--Alex

Gavin said...

Mike--Thanks!

cb--I can't wait for it to grow in...next up is a healthy spray of MiracleGro to help things along.

Alex--I've thought about it. I have a friend in Ireland that has been bugging me to come over and do her yard. Maybe it's in my future!

Jodi said...

OMG! Your gardens are beautiful!!!! By the way your cats are beautiful!!!!!!

Michael said...

What a lovely tribute and labor of love for your father. Truly beautiful.