Friday, November 07, 2008

The Mormons Stole Our Rights

I am still really hurt and pissed about the passage of the anti-marriage-equality amendments. I know I have Mormon readers, and I have to be careful that I don't hurt them by lashing out from my own pain, but I think the LDS church is chiefly responsible for this whole debacle.

Photo and info via Towleroad. A petition drive has begun to the IRS to strip the Mormon church of its tax exempt status:

"Section 501(c)(3) describes corporations, and any community chest, fund, or foundation, organized and operated exclusively for religious, charitable, scientific, testing for public safety, literacy, or educational purposes, or to foster national or international amateur sports competition (but only if no part of its activities involve the provision of athletic facilities or equipment), or for the prevention of cruelty to children or animals, no part of the net earnings of which inures to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual, no substantial part of the activities of which is carrying on propaganda, or otherwise attempting, to influence legislation (except as otherwise provided in section (h)), and which does not participate in, or intervene in (including the publishing or distribution of statements), any political campaign on behalf of (or in opposition to) any candidate for public office."
I doubt signing the petition on Mormons Stole Our Rights (scroll to bottom) will do any good, but it made me feel a little better knowing that I'm at least doing something. Go over and sign. As with all online petitions, use an email address where you are comfortable getting future updates.

6 comments:

Pua; Bakin' and Tendin' Bar said...

Done! And it does make me feel better. Thank you.

ArichNY said...

I signed!!!!!!

michael sean morris said...

I've long been opposed to political churches being treated the same as strictly religious ones; it gives them a leg up on other charities, which is unfair.

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with you buddy. I have signed too! :-)

evilganome said...

I signed. Now I will be bombarded with emails from them, but I don't mind. The legislation in CA as well as FL, AK and SC have infuriated me beyond speech.

This really took all of the joy out of Obama's win for me.

more cowbell said...

Done.