Saturday, August 01, 2009

Candle Safety

Luckily, the house didn't burn down last night.

I have been burning a large jar candle in the kitchen. I had it on the center of the table in a configuration that makes it look like a lamp...on a metal base with a matching metal top that looks like a lampshade.

It was about 11:15 and I was asleep on the couch when the smoke detector went off. I jumped up and ran to the detector and started blowing air so it would stop.

When I turned around, I saw the candle. It had burned all the wax and the flame was now reaching up out of the jar and into the shade. I tried to blow it out but it was burning so hot that I couldn't. I used a fork to get rid of the shade and tried to blow it out again but couldn't. I got a sponge, soaked it with water, and squeezed it onto the flame. It was doused with a loud hiss. And then the jar broke from the change in temperature, blowing a 2" piece of glass onto the table.

Please, everyone, make sure you keep this experience in mind when you're burning candles. If I had left it burning and this happened when I wasn't here, I'm not sure what might have happened.


Al In The County said...

How scary is that? We burn jar candles all the time here. Thats a great lesson.

bigislandjeepguy said...

i am curious: if the wax was all gone, what was keeping the flame ignited?

that shade thing over the candle would be enough to scare the hell outta me.