Friday, March 16, 2007

Under The Weather

I'm supposed to meet friends from California in NYC this weekend. I haven't seen them in two years and I am really looking forward to it. The last time I saw them was at my going away party and I didn't get to see them last summer when I was out there on business. I miss them and my life there.

Problem: The weather forecasters are predicting 12"-18" of snow tonight. This is an issue since I have to drive 1.5 hours to catch the train in Poughkeepsie to Grand Central. Doing it this way means a round-trip train fare of $25 vs $100 on Amtrak out of Albany/Rensselaer.

The plan was for me to get into the city tomorrow afternoon, shoot over to TKTS and get a ticket to Company so I can join them (they already have their tix), check into the hotel, then meet up with them. I was looking forward to seeing the St. Patrick's Day Parade and joining in on a GLBT protest but I won't make it down early enough.

That's all on hold. I haven't even reserved a hotel room yet since I'd have to cancel within the 24 hr period and lose all my money. Friends are staying at the W but have a tiny room with two double beds so I can't crash with them.

So, if the snow isn't too bad or has been cleared early tomorrow morning, I'll have to make the decision to go and then start looking to book a room. The storm may work in my favor since JetBlue canceled a ton of flights so maybe there will be lots of room cancellations and I can sneak in at a great rate at the last minute. We'll see.

The birds must know a storm is coming...the cardinals are on the patio eating like pigs and they never come this close to the house. My signal of spring is never the robins, rather the song of the red-winged blackbirds. We've had quite a few singing like crazy this week in the warm weather. Spring may not be here yet, but it's close.
*

1 comment:

Michael said...

Oh, I hope the weather doesn't ruin your trip!