Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Marriage Equality Rally In Albany

The Empire State Pride Agenda (ESPA) organized a series of events to support Governor Eliot Spitzer's introduction of Marriage Equality legislation. They bussed in several hundred supporters from as far away as New York City and Syracuse to lobby their state representatives after a gathering to rally on the west lawn of the Capitol.

I snapped this photo as I approached. The building in the background at center, One Commerce Plaza, has been in the news over the past several days as a huge chunk of concrete came crashing down 18 stories from the top of the structure.

After I grabbed some General Tso's chicken, rice, and a couple of egg rolls from a roach coach, I sat to listen to the speakers. They each hammered the political priorities of ESPA: Marriage Equality, GENDA, and Diversity for All Students legislation.

Among the speakers was Danny O'Donnell — New York Assemblyman and brother of Rosie O'Donnell. Of course, whenever anything associated with Rosie O'Donnell is present, Donald Trump isn't far behind.

The rally faced the State Capitol building that houses the State Senate and Assembly. It has Beaux Arts architecture and was constructed in the early 1800's.

This building across the street from the park and Capitol is currently the home of the State Department of Education and was previously the State Museum when I was growing up. It is a huge beautiful building.

After the event, I strolled through the Empire State Plaza, long seen as a boondoggle by Nelson A. Rockefeller who was Governor of New York from 1959-1973. There are several state government office towers, the current state museum, and "The Egg" seen here that has several auditoriums and stages. I've only been in it once and that was in Middle School for a live performance of Macbeth.

Under The Egg is a really large concourse where there are several restaurants, shops, and access to the various buildings above. The Albany Auto Show is held in the concourse. There are also several levels of parking which always seem to be full.

*

4 comments:

Breenlantern said...

Really bummmed I missed out on being there and hanging with you. :-(

Pete said...

Me too I had no idea until I got home I heard about this event.

michael sean morris said...

Great event, great photos of what looks like a great city. Can't wait to see it in person.

Gavin said...

Pete -- I signed up with ESPA at their Albany Pride two years ago so I got an automated phone alert Monday afternoon.

MSM -- I'm not sure I'd judge all of Albany based on these pics. Trust me, it's no Vancouver!