Tuesday, July 17, 2007

About Healthcare And Insurance

I've been griping about my kidney stones for over a decade. You poor supportive bloggers have only been subjected to my whining since you discovered this blog.

You may be thinking, "Shut up and get your sorry ass to a doctor." In fact, I think the same thing. I scare myself thinking that maybe it isn't stones but kidney cancer or tumors. My mind can run wild.

But the way our healthcare system is set up, the deck is stacked against me.

Some facts:

• I am self employed and carry a personal insurance policy through a major HMO. At the time, I was turned down by several companies because of pre-existing conditions (stones) so I feel fortunate to have a policy at all.
• Over the years, as medical costs have skyrocketed, I've had to choose plans that were less comprehensive so I can afford the premiums. Now I pay $190/month for what is essentially catastrophic coverage. High deductible, minimal coverage.
• Policies carry riders (extra money for known conditions) when you are on a single policy. I finally had my kidney stone rider of 25% dropped a couple years ago precisely by not going to the doctor when I was passing a stone. For corporate policies with many covered, these costs are spread over the pool of insured.
• I had two major lithotripsy surgeries in the 90's. Each, when all the dust was settled, was over $20,000. I don't know how much it would be today.
• At that price, it isn't likely that surgery would be approved unless it was an emergency. When I say "emergency" I mean that kidney damage could result that might cost the HMO even more. They'd rather put you on a liquid drip to force fluids and put you on IV morphine to deal with the pain. Much more cost effective, don't ya think?
• If I go to the doctor, and they say I have kidney stones but there isn't anything more to do at this point, I'm right back where I am now only the insurance company has been alerted that I have kidney problems. That could cause my premiums to go up or, I fear, my policy to be canceled.

Now you can see that I'm between a rock and a hard place. I'm boxed in to getting care only if something tragic happens. It's like being in a car accident. You have to decide if the damage is less than your deductible, or even if it is more, whether you are going to report it to your insurance company because you know your premiums will go up. What may save you $200 in the short term may cost you thousands in the long run.

I continue to believe that these stones are from a year of drinking Diet Coke to lose 25 lbs last year. Oh, the weight is back, and now I've got painful health issues, too. Bah.

And that, dear readers, is why I don't go to a doctor.
*

6 comments:

Sister Nancy Beth Eczema said...

At the risk of showing my kooky West Coast roots -- have you ever considered acupuncture or some other form of Chinese medicine? I had a lot of success for my runner's knee/arthritis double whammy (far more than I got from that damn orthopedic surgeon my insurance shelled out thousands of dollars for), and my understanding is that there's really no health condition they can't treat -- just a suggestion. Good luck getting through this latest bout.

Anonymous said...

This is precisely why we need Universal Health Care in this country. Why should you have to choose between financial ruin and seeking care? This pisses me off to no end. The money we have spent waging war could have easily set up and fund national health care for all. I am hating my country more and more with each passing year.

dirk.mancuso said...

Have you ever had your stones analyzed? Mine are calcium stones, so I watch my intake of dairy and I've been remarkably lucky in diminishing the formation.

Another plus is that calcium stones can be seen with an x-ray so I don't need an expensive dye test to see where they are.

Anonymous said...

Sobering and accurate statements about how many currently experience health care. Living in Canada, and having that reality, combined with years of living in the US, I would say we generally offer better, and less cost prohibitive health care overall.

From your described symptoms and length of time experiencing this, I would from my experience in the field that waiting it out to see if a doctor is in fact required, is not such a bad option. Again, good luck and I'm thinking of you.

Gay Canuck in the Capital said...

I'm assuming you have seen Sicko? The sad thing is that for all the hoopla about universal health care, health care HAS to change, even in Canada or the UK. It is just too expensive to keep on coming up with more and more elaborate expensive interventions that have a small, noticable effect. Health care can't be a profit driven, growth industry. We will all have to pay for more expensive health, be it privately in the US or through taxes in Canada or the UK. Every country is wrestling with this. But it doesn't change your current sucky situation.

Gavin said...

Dear Sister: I am totally open to eastern solutions. Honestly, I hadn't considered acupuncture. In the 90's, I saw a woman in Huntington Beach who specialized in energy work. Very helpful to get me through stressful times.

Tater: I don't blame the country, I blame the system and the people running it.

Dirk: Yes, they've been analyzed with inconclusive results. They are not calcium. Doctor's only advice was drink more water. I'm a champ at self diagnosis and it is the Diet Coke. I've read quite a few articles online of others with the same problem. It's the phosphorus they add.

Al: Yup, picking the best option from a bunch of crappy ones.

GCC: I haven't seen Sicko yet. That gets into a whole other part of my life that I have shared on this blog but write about on my Alzheimer's Moments blog. I'm a full time caregiver to my mom with Alzheimer's and I don't get out much. I just started to have aides come to the house and when that ramps up I'll have more time to do things for myself!