Sunday, July 29, 2007

Today Is A Day For Best Friends' Birthdays

Today was a good day in history...or herstory if you please.

My best friend, whom I've known since 1994 and still lives in California, turns 38 today. We still talk at least once a day and it's like we live next door to each other. Pretty good after being away for 2 years.

My best friend here in NY, whom I've know practically all my life and we joke that I was her first (non-sexual) husband, turns 44 today. She bought the house next to where I grew up (and now live) so I get to see her and her family quite a bit. Yesterday, I was invited to their house for a pizza party and went over about 5. Had the chance to have a couple glasses of wine and Pizza Hut pizza that I haven't had in ages. I LOVE IT. My ex and I used to have it once a week for years. Mmmmmmmm, pan crust with green pepper, sausage, and pineapple. Now that's some heaven right there. "Pizza Hut, apply directly to my tummy."

I ended up being over there until 10. The gathering broke up after the fire went out and everyone was finished making s'mores. [I'm not a marshmallow-on-fire type of guy — I have to wait until there is no flame and just glowing coals so I can toast my marshmallows to a fine golden brown on all sides. Burning marshmallows...yuck!]

Lots of folks were there, mostly her teenage children and their friends. I'm a popular personality at these parties since the kids appreciate me and my sense of humor. I'm cheaper than hiring a clown. I was pretty quiet last night, though, and they kept asking me what was wrong and that I wasn't being funny. Not sure since I felt physically and emotionally fine. My wit seems to be in reacting to others and there just wasn't much fodder for my clever repartee.
*

4 comments:

michael sean morris said...

Wow. Is that your first spam comment?

I know the feeling. Often I feel I get invited as the floorshow, and if I don't perform there's the incredulity...

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to your friend. I have a dynamic like that with my friend Karen. I also know what you mean about your wit being somewhat dependent on the vibe of those around you. If everyone is a complete dullard, I'm not as engaging or funny, etc as I can be if everyone is on the same level and working of that energy.

Gavin said...

To those reading this after I post, I deleted the comment that MSM is referring to...I usually catch them pretty quick and delete them but this one slipped through.

For a long time I was getting stuff from China but that stopped and I didn't get anything for a long time. Now I've gotten a couple in the past few days. I've also had spammers sending email to my gay.com account. I've had the account for 2 years and now I've had two spam emails in the last week.

Arrrggghhhh!

Mom said...

Will you please roast a beautiful golden crispy marshmallow? Sounds like you know how to do it right.