Sunday, June 01, 2008

Open Letter To The U.S. Postal Service

Dear Postmaster General,

I've had the opportunity to observe the front-end operations implemented at many of your post offices on several occasions over the past week. I was waiting in lines, inching my way forward to renew my passport and send a couple of Certified Letters with Return Receipt.

It's interesting what one notices while standing in line for 15 minutes with nothing else to do but figure ways to make the line move faster. After all, that, at its root, is what drives American ingenuity.

There are a few suggestions I'd like to make that would improve the efficiency of the customer and work flow therein:

Suggestion #1: The Just Ask A Quick Question Window. Regardless of what post office I've been in, regardless of how long the customer line is, regardless of whether you have a formal "take a number" process, and regardless of how many windows are open, customers always barge up to the nearest window to "just ask a quick question." A quick question window would be a positive step towards serving the ignoramuses who think their time is more valuable than the rest of the customers patiently waiting in line.

Suggestion #2: The I'm A Complete Dumbass Window. Did IQ's suddenly dropped while I was away? People are stupid. Every trip to the post office makes one lament about the billions of tax dollars we spend on educating the masses. Perhaps we should offer high school classes on how to send a letter because people who enter post offices seem even dumber than your average Joe. (Yours truly excluded, of course.) Dumbasses should have their own window so they don't waste the time of those that have more than two brain cells to rub together.

Suggestion #3: The I Have Special Needs Window. Doesn't anyone just mail letters anymore? If you're going to tie up a window for half an hour tracking a package that didn't arrive in Egypt a week after you sent it parcel post, you need a special window. All people with special needs should be forced to wait in the special needs line so they suffer the same incompetencies that they inflict on others.

Postmaster, I respect that you may be struggling with a tight budget. The above suggestions should actually improve overall efficiency, but if you find they don't, you could always combine the "I'm A Complete Dumbass" window with the "I Have Special Needs" window since I'm sure that 50% of your customers qualify for both.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

Sincerely yours,

Y|O|Y

P.S. Feel free to share these suggestions with the airline industry for their ticket counters and Departments of Motor Vehicles.
*

6 comments:

Breenlantern said...

BRAVO! Brilliant,necessary and totally logical suggestions indeed!

Anonymous said...

I WISH I could have expressed it as succinctly as you have. DITTO! I "will" admit, however, that it is always a unique life experience to go through one of those lines and really WONDER in my head......WHERE did these people come from? OR....I say, NEXT time I'm driving the extra 10 miles to the Post Office in the tiny town of Scappoose...no line.

Jodi said...

This is priceless!!!

Doralong said...

May we also add a line at the bank drive up for people that are trying to do a leveraged buyout via the National Bank of Rangoon? Because really, what else could take 20 minutes at the drive through???

Also may I request a "morons only" lane on all major roadways please? One could retrofit the car with a sensor that won't allow them to mix in with the rest of the traffic.

Anonymous said...

EXCELLENT and sensible suggestions! But, turning the tables a bit, might we have "No Attitude" windows at various establishments for those of us who don't fit your categories? (Are you listening, DMV?)
--Alex

Gavin said...

doralong--now don't get ahead of me! I have an "Open Letter To Retail Banking" in the hopper. It includes something very close to your suggestion using similar wording..."balancing world currency markets"!