Thursday, August 28, 2008

Ruby-Throated Hummingbird (Male)

It is the throat coloring on the males which give this species its name. The feathers are iridescent and only show bright red when the light catches them a certain way. This pic shows the red...he is perched on a wire quite a ways away...it was kinda dark and the color showed up from the camera's bright flash.

Here he is hovering to get a drink from the feeder. I have it hanging from the iron trellis which is quickly becoming wrapped in morning glory vines.

It took a while to get pics of the males. For comparison, here's another pic of the female to go along with these.

5 comments:

Mom said...

Great pictures!

Anonymous said...

Oh WOW! Beautiful photos buddy!

Anonymous said...

Great pics--I wish I had a better camera. My guys (3 so far) are the black-chinned kind, not as colorful, but one actually sits on the feeder's perch and tanks up, if I only had a zoom lens....

Anonymous said...

Anonymous was me.
--Alex

michael sean morris said...

Some amazing shots! Little birds are so difficult to shoot - they're so fidgety. I just spent three weeks trying to get some decent shots of swallows, which are almost immobile compared to hummingbirds.