Monday, November 10, 2008

Defining Marriage

My bff was telling me about a conversation she was having with a friend of hers over coffee. The friend, who always has a boatload of problems, was explaining why she had voted in favor of California's Proposition 8:

"Only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California."
Seems she wants to preserve this definition of marriage. As my bff was telling me this, my blood was moving from simmer to boil.

See, the friend's husband has had multiple affairs on her, the current ongoing one included...which she is aware of but never seems to be able to muster the courage to leave him. "Poor me," she cries.

What she doesn't get is that her "marriage" doesn't even fit her own definition since there are three people in her sordid tale...her, her husband, and mistress of the month.

Up until now, I've been sympathetic. No more Mr. Nice Gay. This asshole needs to Shut The Fuck Up. You don't care about how others feel so you need to shut your pie hole.

Karma is a bitch and it visits her every day. She's just too stupid to get it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know many so called straight couples who support marriages between only a man and a woman who are constantly cheating on their wives also. How they can be such experts on what marriage should be is an absolute joke! I am sure your blood was boiling buddy, mine would have been too. *hugs*

michael sean morris said...

I'd never considered this perspective, but it'll certainly come in handy. Readers of my blog know how uppity I am, but I am always looking to add newer, more positive weapons to my arsenal.

Personally, I've had it with the seemingly increasing amount of crap I am subject to for being gay. I have declared zero tolerance on intolerance within my immediate vicinity, and I'm always grateful for an argument or technique I can use to effectively neutralize hate without resorting to it myself.

Anonymous said...

Michael--
It's not a "seemingly" increasing amount of crap in your life. Hate crimes against us are UP. I hope you find an H-bomb for your arsenal.
--Alex