Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Tax Breaks For Car Buyers

According to Yahoo1 News:

The Senate voted Tuesday to give a tax break to new car buyers, setting aside bipartisan concerns over the size of an economic stimulus bill with a price tag approaching $900 billion. The vote was 71-26 to allow many car buyers to claim an income tax deduction for the cost of automobile sales taxes and interest payments on car loans.

Sen. Barbara Mikulski, D-Md., said the plan would aid the beleaguered automobile industry as well as create jobs at a time the economy is losing them at a rapid rate. "I believe we can help by getting the consumer into the showroom," she said.
I mentioned a similar idea in my post back on November 25, 2008. I'm not sure if it is the same or not (spiking breaks for higher mileage cars), but it seems to me that tax breaks would be the best way for the government to stimulate auto sales. The idea is the get them to sell product, not stay out of bankruptcy as they lay thousands people off. I had sent an email to my then Congresswoman, now Senator, Kirsten Gillibrand.

No comments: